Cloud-API?

Options
Cold_1
Cold_1
Community Member

Hi,
why the heck do you still refuse to implement the newly introduced Cloud API? Why do I still have to trust NSA friendly Dropbox or iCloud instead of my own cloud provider?

Regards

Comments

• jp28md
    jp28md
    Community Member
    Options

Just curious what "special" cloud provider you want to use?

• Cold_1
    Cold_1
    Community Member
    Options

OwnCloud?
    But should it matter? Why limit the "experiece" to two providers if there's an API in which anyone can link its plugin?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Cold_1‌ What is this Cloud API that you're referring to? It's a bit of a vague term to google.

• Cold_1
    Cold_1
    Community Member
    Options

With iOS 8, Apple introduced the CloudAPI, which allows any cloud provider application (Dropbox, Box, OwnCloud, iCloud, GoogleDrive, OneDrive,...) to hook into the system and provide Access to its services by any application that supports this API.
    E.g. if I open my TocumentsToGo app, I can choose to open a document from a cloud account. There on the page, all my cloud accounts get listed and I can choose which one to use.

Hope this helps.

I don't know why AgileBits refuses to implement that because this is a loooooong wanted feature, not only by me. Previously, they always stated that it is to difficult to implement all the different providers, but now, this excuse is non existent.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Cold_1‌ Still none the wiser. I've heard of the new iCloud and while I know just a little about CloudKit (which 1Password does make use of) I've never heard mention anywhere of Apple allowing third party access for non-Apple storage - that doesn't even sound like Apple. I can't find such a reference even on the main developer page for the new iCloud. Can you supply a link to an official Apple page with this?

• Cold_1
    Cold_1
    Community Member
    Options

You can open any of the Apple office apps. Let's go with Pages. You have to turn on the setting to use cloud drive. Then create a new document by pressing the "+" icon. Below, a list of places to create the document on appears: "Create document", "Copy from WebDAV", "iCloud" and... tada: "Others". Now click others and you get a list of all cloud providers that are registered on your device.

I will provide a picture if I get home, if you wish.

• Thanks for the great suggestion, @Cold_1! I've added it to our internal bug tracker. @littlebobbytables‌: One of the app extension types in iOS 8 is Storage Provider. Apps that use a document picker can open files managed by the Storage Provider or move files into the Storage Provider.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cheers to both of you, I understand much better what we're talking about. I wasn't thinking extensions there at all. Would that require a manual sync though as extensions can't be launched automatically?

• Ben
    Options

My understanding (limited) would be yes, it would. It doesn't appear Storage Providers were intended to be used for syncing, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. We'll look into it.

This discussion has been closed.