Problem with the center 1Password 5 mini menu

Options
nickv2002
nickv2002
Community Member

Is there any way to disable 1Password mini (in 1Password 5) from appearing in the center of your screen and revert to the old behavior of living on the top right menu?

I ask because I think the usability of the centered mini browser is worse than the old menu in the top right. I specifically don't like how it highlights whatever my mouse is over because it means that the selected item often varies when I invoke 1Password mini. In 1Password 4 invoking the menu always put the section any matches for the site I was browsing or (baring that) my favorites so I could easily copy a password with a few arrow taps and the return key. I can still do this but it's not as efficient as before because I often have to navigate out of a sub-menu that has been selected simply because my mouse was over it.

Basically, the centered 1Password mini window makes keyboard navigation less efficient and I prefer the old behavior if possible.

Thanks,
Nick

Comments

• Hi @nickv2002‌ ,

Unfortunately there is currently no way of reverting to the old behaviour. I've personally been caught by those same issues with the centered window, and it can be annoying. We have cases filed about them in our bug tracker and we hope to get them resolved in a future release.

At the moment, the only way to ensure that you get the menu-attached version of the mini window as opposed to centered is by invoking it by clicking on the mini's system menu bar icon.

Rick

• cube
    cube
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rickfillion‌ ,

IMO, fixing this is security critical because the browser is usually centered. This means the browser can easily place something that looks like a 1password authentication window in the same place 1password might place it, making it difficult for the user to tell that the password is going to 1password mini or to evil.com.

• Hi @cube,

That's a good point, and very well articulated. Thanks. The workaround for that at the moment would be to move the mini window via click/drag to a location that you'll then know to be the true 1Password window.

Rick

• nickv2002
    nickv2002
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks all. Moving it does help, but it would also be nice to tell it to ignore the initial mouse position or something similar.

• @nickv2002‌ : That issue has been fixed internally. If you're using the betas it should be in the next one, if you're not you'll need to wait a little longer to get that fix. It annoyed us too. A lot. :smile:

Rick

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nickv2002‌

I've had the mouse steal focus in my mini pop-up too, and it's rather annoying - I feel your pain! As Rick mentions, we do have all these issues filed in our internal tracker, and I just checked ... it turns out our intrepid devs have already managed to find a fix for this particular issue! You should see a fix version soon that has mini behaving better. Thanks again for all your feedback!

ref: OPM-2169

• nickv2002
    nickv2002
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I downloaded: 1Password 5 Version 5.1.BETA-2 (510002) from the updater in the app. Seems to be ignoring the initial location of the mouse now which is great.

Thanks again.

• You're welcome, @nickv2002! :)

This discussion has been closed.