Can't sync between MacbookPro and any iOS device

Options
jbach67
jbach67
Community Member

Macs running Yosemite, updated 1password Oct 17th. Wifi Sync had worked in the past, and can still wifi sync between iMac and any iOS device. But in the last week cannot wifi sync between iPhone or iPad with macbook pro. I've logged out of and back into wifi, tried the 2.5 GHz guest network, (again, the 5GH works fine for iMac and iOS). It's only this macbook, which is otherwise behaving normally.

What do I need to check or do differently. (and don't say use iCloud or dropbox).

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jbach67‌

I realize it may seem like an obvious suggestion, but please make sure the MacBook is running the latest version of 1Password and try rebooting it.

Thanks.

• jbach67
    jbach67
    Community Member
    Options

I checked that version. And if you mean reboot the computer, I have done.

One other detail - I recently changed from using my main setup formerly

• as administrator to having a dummy administrator account for changes etc, and my main setup as a user. If I look at 1 password on the admin account, there is nothing in there at all by the way. Which is fine if having two instances on one machine isn't a problem.
  • jbach67
    jbach67
    Community Member
    Options

To clarify, I am using version 5.0 of 1 password, downloaded last Friday. I think it was after then I first noticed the no wifi sync issue

• Hi @jbach67‌,

Sorry to hear WiFi sync stopped working for you with v5. Is your Mac's firewall on? If so, do you have exceptions set for 1Password? Can you check that your computer name under System Preferences > Sharing is under 25 characters? We've been getting reports from users saying that with longer names sync stops working, we're still looking into it.

Make sure that the admin account isn't also running the WiFi sync service. I just tested here and was able to run the WiFi sync service with a non-admin account and connect to it from my phone, so I don't think that's part of your issue.

Let us know how that goes.

Rick

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

It turns out Bonjour has a strict limit of 63 characters for the service names and if your computer names are longer than usual, it will not show up via Bonjour because it helps exceed the length with the other info we add to the name.

Please try renaming your computer name to the shortest possible and see if that'll get 1Password to show up now. If yes, we're going to try to enforce the limit in our code.

• jbach67
    jbach67
    Community Member
    Options

I hadn't checked this page over the weekend, but bottom line, name length was my issue post Yosemite and change to two users. Originally 32 characters - shortened it to 19 characters and the iOS device 'saw' it and synced normally. Thanks

• Hi @jbach67‌, thanks for letting us know that @MikeT‌'s advice worked!

This discussion has been closed.