I'm seeing duplicate 1Password entries in Manage Storage for iCloud [Both iOS 7 and 8 icloud data]

Options
jp28md
jp28md
Community Member
edited October 2014 in iOS

Have 1Password 5.1 with iOS 8.1 on iPhone 5s and getting the flowing under Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage.
Every thing is syncing OK via iCloud with my iPhone 5 (8.0.2), iPhone 5s (8.1), iPad 2 (8.0.2) and iMac OS Yosemite.
I'm afraid to delete one of them, and wondering why there's two?

Comments

• Good morning @jp28md‌! That is a puzzler indeed. I am also showing two entries for 1Password on my device. Were you using 1Password 4.5 on iOS 7 and syncing that with iCloud as well? There's no identifying marks for either of the items, so I don't believe it's safe to delete either one at this point.

• jp28md
    jp28md
    Community Member
    Options

Were you using 1Password 4.5 on iOS 7 and syncing that with iCloud as well?
    I believe so, but that was along time ago.
    It seems to have started showing up when I upgraded to Yosemite on my iMac and turned on iCloud Drive.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jp28md‌ I think that fits with why MrRooni was asking. He's suspecting the conversion to iCloud Drive is what might have caused the double entry.

Out of curiosity, if you view your iCloud Drive space in Finder, is there anything to do with 1Password in there?

• jp28md
    jp28md
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables Nope. Nothing visible in the iCloud Drive Finder that is associated w/ 1Password.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jp28md‌ Cheers, it was just a query I had that I couldn't answer myself. Best to see what @MrRooni says. If it was me, I'd probably turn off iCloud sync on all my devices and start afresh given turning off synchronisation in 1Password won't delete the local vault.

• Hi @jp28md,

You are likely seeing the old data from iOS 7. You can have both iCloud Drive and the previous Docs and Data sync turned on at the same time on the same device.

You can ignore this as it won't affect the sync on iOS and Yosemite because 1Password 5 does not touch Docs and Data anymore. If you want to clean this up, you can.

Let me know if you want and I'll get in touch with you via PM on how to proceed. We don't want to list the instructions here because of the potential data loss if someone else follows this improperly.

• jp28md
    jp28md
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT‌. Please contact me via PM on how to proceed. Thanks again.

• Hi @jp289md,

No problem, you should see the PM soon.

• liljo
    liljo
    Community Member
    Options

I see the same thing. One vault is only 70.2KB, whereas the other is 3.3MB.

• gumby
    gumby
    Community Member
    Options

MikeT I have the same issue. No need to PM the fix -- liljo and I are probably not the only other sufferers. I presume one thing would be to disable syncing, delete 1password from the iOS devices (nuking their state in the process), delete the iCloud entries, then re-enable iCloud syncing? That would be acceptable to me as long as it lost no data.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @gumby‌

Obviously if you are going to do that we'd highly recommend making absolutely sure that you have good backups of your 1Password data in place before doing so:

Thanks.

• gumby
    gumby
    Community Member
    Options

Since I had a mac as the "master" this worked out fine, but indeed, there are other, more subtle, configurations!

• Ben
    Options

Perfect. Thanks for the update @gumby!

• aperlei
    aperlei
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi AgileBits,

I'm having the same issue. What I was going to do is back up the vault on the Mac, disable 1Password iCloud sync on both Mac and iOS, nuke everything 1Password-related in Setting / iCloud / iCloud Drive / Manage storage, then re-enable iCloud sync. Does that sound about right? I assume there's no need to actually delete 1Password app from the iPhone - just disabling iCloud sync should do it?

Edit:

Ah - should've followed @bwoodruff's link first. Thanks for the instructions!

• planetkingdom
    planetkingdom
    Community Member
    Options

Any chance the Agilebits procedure to delete the duplicate files can be posted? Its really annoying and can cause confusion un the future.

• dmbrown
    dmbrown
    Community Member
    Options

I have two 1Password files in iCloud storage. There are other posts on this topic. I understand that one file is from iOS 7 syncing and one is from ios 8 syncing. Instructions for identifying the old, unused file are always handled by PM, due to their risk and/or complexity. How can I obtain those instructions? Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @planetkingdom and @aperlei,

First, a quick explanation: Having 2 entries for 1Password in the iCloud storage settings is a side-effect of updating to 1Password 5 and the new iCloud sync method. It's not a cause for concern, and actually indicates a successful upgrade. When you started using 1Password 5, your data was copied from the old iCloud into the new CloudKit-based sync system. The original data was not deleted during this process and remains listed in iCloud alongside the new data.

The extra 1Password entry won't cause any problems, and there's no easy way to tell which one is active, so we normally recommend against deleting it. However, if you really want to get rid of the extra entry, please first make sure you have your latest 1Password data backed up somewhere. Then you'll need to disable iCloud sync in 1Password on all devices/computers, delete both 1Password entries from the iCloud storage settings, and then re-enable iCloud sync in 1Password again.

The important thing here is to make sure you backup your data first. Even though you'll be deleting data from iCloud and not from the 1Password app, it's better to play it safe and save a backup. You can do that by following the steps here.

Hopefully that helps! :smiley:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dmbrown, I merged your message into this thread since it is about the same thing. Please take a look at my message from earlier today for more details. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.