Usability bug: 1Password mini and the pointer location [Will fix this in a future update]

Options
chrisryan
chrisryan
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

When I invoke 1Password mini, if the pointer location happens to be within the window the menu item at the pointer location is selected. This is inconvenient when wanting to keep hands on the keyboard. If a hierarchical item is under the pointer, I have to type left arrow to get back to the main menu item; then up arrow repeatedly to get to the site's password. Or else pick up the mouse. I don't think the window should honour the initial pointer location.

Yosemite 10.10, 1Password 5.0, late 2013 iMac

Comments

• manolosavi
    manolosavi
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, just wanted to mention one thing that's been bugging me with 1P mini, it's not that big of a deal, but if it can be fixed I think it'd be great. My mouse is a lot of the time near the center of the screen, so when I want to log into a website for which I have multiple accounts, when I do ⌘\ I can't actually just hit enter because mini automatically sees the mouse and expands one of the folders or whatever, so I have to either use the mouse or the back+up arrows to navigate to the account I want to log in with. I don't know if it is possible, but I would love it if mini would ignore the mouse until it moves. Like, don't expand any menus under the mouse unless the mouse moves and ends up on top of a menu.

Hope I was able to explain myself correctly…

Currently using 5.0.2B1 but this has been happening for a long time now.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

I fully agree, it is a good idea
    I have this "tiny annoyance" as well

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Tiny? It's driving me mad!

• +1 - logged in to report the same issue. makes using 1password really really annoying since the upgrade (and i use it all day, with something like 450 ids in there)

• MrCoBalt
    MrCoBalt
    Community Member
    Options

I'll +1 this as a frustration with 1Password Mini 5 too.

With v4 the menu would expand out from the menu bar icon (or if the menu bar icon was turned off it would appear in the center-ish area of the screen) but even if the cursor was over the area where the 1Password interface appeared the default selection in the menu wouldn't change unless the cursor was then moved.

With the new v5 behaviour it turns out my cursor regularly seems to be in that center area where 1Password pops up, and then the focus item is changed out from under me. This is especially noticable and frustrating when working on a smaller screen, as well as on sites where I have a ton of different logins.

The attached screenshot of my sign-in options at an Apple.com page via an old 13" MacBook is obviously a bit of an outlier but you can see that there are a lot of places where the cursor would be intercepted, when all I really want to do it hit return and fill in my primary favourited login info.

If there's any way to change the behaviour to be similar to v4 it would be much appreciated!

• MrCoBalt
    MrCoBalt
    Community Member
    Options

Heh, looks like there are a couple threads on this now that I poke around. I added my two cents (with a "worst case" screenshot) over in this one

Hope this can get addressed!

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

I merged the threads into this one as it is the same issue.

We are trying to figure this out as it is a new thing on Yosemite. Right now, the best thing you can do is drag the mini to a different place, so it is not in the common area of your mouse. 1Password mini is draggable in 1Password 5, so you don't have to leave it in the center of your screen.

We will try to fix this to make sure 1Password mini ignores your mouse position when it is invoked.

Thanks for reporting this!

ref: OPM-2169

• ChrisDE123
    ChrisDE123
    Community Member
    Options

Didn't know it was draggable, that is a solution for me. 1Password is back in the upper right corner and stays there :) Thanks.
    Maybe add a scrollbar if there are a lot of logins for one page?

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.