1 Mac, 2 Users, 2 iPhones - Seeking vault options

Options
technoprayer
technoprayer
Community Member

Hello There -

My wife and I share an iMac at home (with 2 user accounts) and we each have iPhones. What I would like to sort out is how to best utilize the one license that I purchased of 1Password for Mac. I have the iPhone app and she's likely to get it if this works out as we would like it to. Because the mac app was purchased on my user account with my Apple ID, it shows up in my applications and I set up the primary vault and password. I think what would work best for us would be if it were possible for that primary vault to be shared by us both in the two different user accounts and on the two different phones. Syncing would also be key. We could add more secondary vaults if necessary, but my main concern is how to have 1Password function in the same way on her user account as it does on mine.

Is this possible?

late '13 iMac running Yosemite
both iPhone 6's running iOS 8.1

Thank you!

Sam

Comments

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Sam,

Thank you for asking such a good question :+1:

The common setup is for each of you to have a distinct primary that is synced between your devices:

Sam's Primary vault -> 1Password on User Account 1 -> Sam's iOS devices (iPhone 1 in your case)

Wife's Primary vault -> 1Password on User Account 2 -> Wife's iOS devices (iPhone 2)

Secondary vault synced via a shared Dropbox folder. Note that the secondary vault must manually be added on each device.

You mentioned, you wish to use the primary vault as the shared vault. Is that because you wish to use iCloud sync?

For more information or for detailed steps on how to setup a shared vault in 1Password, please refer to this article from our Knowledgebase.

Please let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

Rad

• technoprayer
    technoprayer
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, I think your first scenario sounds best. We both have our user accounts linked to our Apple IDs and having 2 different primary vaults and having them sync to each of our phones makes the most sense. The next question would be about alternatives to shared folders (I don't want to mess with Dropbox). There would probably only be a few logins that we both need. Is it possible just to copy/past or load them into both places? They wouldn't sync, but we probably wouldn't change them often and when we did, we could just analog sync, right?

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Sam,

Thank for getting back to me :smiley:

If you do not want to set up a shared Dropbox folder to sync secondary vaults you can always opt for sharing items via the share menu in the detail view. Yes, items will not sync but it's a convenient way to share them.

Hope that this solution suits your needs.

Best,

Rad

This discussion has been closed.