On Yosemite "1Password 5 cannot be opened because of a problem."

Options
davidjoliver
davidjoliver
Community Member

Upgraded to Yosemite and, as advertised, 1Password automatically upgraded to 5. When I attempt to open it, I get this error:

Any ideas?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@davidjoliver‌ Well 1Password 5 definitely works with Yosemite so I'd be tempted to follow the second part of that fairly vague error message. If it was me I'd delete the copy of 1Password from my Applications folder, empty my Trash so I know it's gone and then download a fresh copy from the same place I purchased my original e.g. MAS for me but if you purchase directly from their web store then download a fresh copy from there. See if something went wrong with the update.

When I say delete I mean just the application - not using any app cleaner program. I've seen repeated warnings over that as it would wipe out all of 1Password's files including your vault - definitely not your goal.

• Hi @davidjoliver‌,

Sorry to hear the update wasn't as smooth as it should have been. I suspect that the update you got is slightly corrupted. I would recommend deleting the app itself out of /Applications, and reinstalling it either via the Mac App Store, or via our website. Make sure to re-install it from the same location you had before.

The other possibility is that it's crashing on launch before even getting to the point of loading up our crash reporter. To know that I would have to see what is shown if you hit 'Report...'.

Hope this helps.

Rick

• davidjoliver
    davidjoliver
    Community Member
    Options

I deleted all traces of the app, re-downloaded and now it starts up just fine. Thanks for the quick responses!

• That's great to hear, @davidjoliver‌!

• Ben Fleisher
    Ben Fleisher
    Community Member
    Options

So, this happened to me and I re-purchased the app, installed it, and can access my account again. Obviously, I had to do this because it has all of my passwords... but I just purchased the app for a second time. Refund on one of my purchases?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ben Fleisher

If you've purchased 1Password from Apple's Mac App Store then you will need to request a refund from them. Apple don't share any details of those purchases with us - it's a completely walled store that we're allowed to use but for which we have no control.

If you purchased 1Password direct from us then please check out this page where it will detail what to do in order to request a refund.

If you have any questions please post back here.

This discussion has been closed.