1Password chrome extension auto filling wrong passwords.

Options
pwbits
pwbits
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hi,

I've been experiencing this problem for the past 3 months. When I auto fill on websites, it says the password is invalid. It seems it doesn't auto fill the whole password, and the asterisk'd password is shorter than if I were to copy paste it. If I copy and paste it from 1Password, it works perfectly. What could be causing this? A site I just experienced it on was Yelp.

Comments

• pwbits
    pwbits
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I just did some debugging to see what may be causing this issue. I disabled all my chrome extensions besides 1Password. I analyzed the http requests it's sending out, and it's inserting a completely different password than the one I have stored. I tried it on two separate sites (Yelp, TaskRabbit) and it's the same issue. Auto filling in a different password (the email is correct however). What could be the reason for this? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

• pwbits
    pwbits
    Community Member
    Options

Did some more debugging, and searched for the password it was entering. For Yelp, I have a "Login" with username, password and with the website as https://www.yelp.com/login

Now, the incorrect password it's entering I found it as a "Password (not a login)" shows it was created at the same time as the Yelp "Login", however the website for it says "com.agilebits.onepassword4". How is this associating itself with my Yelp "Login"? I could see if the website contained the yelp login url, but it doesn't. Either way, I deleted that password, cleared the trash, and closed and reopened the app. It is still entering that same password. How do I fix this?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The usual way to resolve this sort of problem is to re-create and save the relevant login manually. (You don't say whether you're using 1P4 or 1P5 so I've linked to the 1P4 page but, in essence, the procedure will be the same in both versions.)

The linked page includes the following:

Saving a new Login manually can be helpful for fixing Logins that are problematic or that were once working but have since stopped. It allows 1Password to refresh everything it “knows” about the page and start from a clean slate.

That's why the procedure may help with your problem.

Stephen

• Hi @pwbits,

Thanks for doing the digging you've done.

I did some testing here, and it seems that when I register a new account with yelp, and use the password generator, it ends up saving a Password, but doesn't offer to create a Login until the next time I login (where the only thing it can auto-fill is the password as it didn't save the login info). That doesn't explain how/why your website associated with your Password got marked as "com.agilebits.onepassword4". Very strange.

I also tested setting the password associated with the Password to be different than my Login, and to try to autofill to see which it would use, and it used the one from my Login, not the Password.

My recommendation would be to remove the Password entry manually. If that doesn't do the trick, I would try recreating the Login manually via the instructions @Stephen_C posted.

I hope this helps.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.