Syncing with iCloud in 1Password 5 (Yosemite and iOS 8)

Options
ZamboniMan
ZamboniMan
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

1Password
Version 5.0 (500019)
Mac App Store

After upgrading to 1Password 5.0, I have several saved logins that are missing.

For secure notes, all of my notes have multiple versions of the note separated by a line of equal signs. If you click on edit and try to scroll through the note to eliminate all of the duplicates, the screen doesn't repaint making it impossible to edit the note inside 1Password. You're stuck copying the whole note to the clipboard, pasting the contents into a different editor, doing all the edits and then pasting it back. Very inconvenient.

Other notes also have multiple versions of the original text but some of the data is scrambled forcing you to merge text from different sections in the hope that none of the original data is missing.

Several software licenses are also corrupted. The record is there but the license key fields are empty.

This is very disturbing after finally moving all of my data into 1Password.

Comments

• ZamboniMan
    ZamboniMan
    Community Member
    Options

I also forgot to mention that with the move to Yosemite, the fonts used in 1Password are even harder to read than they were before the upgrade making 1Password just on the edge of being unusable. I really hope you're planning to make some usability improvements soon for those of us that don't have 20/10 vision. :)

• chrisdj
    edited October 2014
    Options

@ZamboniMan‌ Did you happen to change sync services after the upgrade to Yosemite? The local database structure in 1Password was not changed at all in the update, so that leads me to think you've gotten into some sync conflicts.

For secure notes, all of my notes have multiple versions of the note separated by a line of equal signs.

This is how we display a Conflicted Copy in Secure Notes.

If you click on edit and try to scroll through the note to eliminate all of the duplicates, the screen doesn't repaint making it impossible to edit the note inside 1Password. You're stuck copying the whole note to the clipboard, pasting the contents into a different editor, doing all the edits and then pasting it back.

I'd recommend doing a Copy of the portion of text you want to keep, and creating a new secure Notes and pasting that. Then you can just delete the conflicted note.

Other notes also have multiple versions of the original text but some of the data is scrambled forcing you to merge text from different sections in the hope that none of the original data is missing.

Several software licenses are also corrupted. The record is there but the license key fields are empty.

Honestly, this is so far off from how things should be, maybe it is best to restore a backup. Click File > Restore and select a recent backup where you knew all the data was good, and see if that restores everything to as it should be.

• ZamboniMan
    ZamboniMan
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I've managed to recover a majority of the information by bouncing around the various backups.

There is still a major problem with the in-app editing. If you create a secured note that is larger than the visible edit field, scrolling down does not show you the rest of the note. You can, however, copy and paste the note to another editor like vim and everything is present and then copy and paste it back after making your edits.

Regarding the sync services. I left iCloud Drive disabled on my iOS 8 devices until I had upgraded to Yosemite and enabled iCloud Drive on everything. After the initial shock of having so much data corrupted, I followed your instructions for removing the iCloud Drive backup data and re-enabling it. When I go to manage iCloud storage, I see two entries for 1Password, one is 236 KB and the other is 177 MB.

• @ZamboniMan‌

When I go to manage iCloud storage, I see two entries for 1Password, one is 236 KB and the other is 177 MB.

One of those is the old data and one is the new data. The best way to get those reset (since they have the same name) is to disable iCloud sync, remove both sets of iCloud sync data, then re-enable iCloud sync to upload a fresh set of sync data.

• ZamboniMan
    ZamboniMan
    Community Member
    Options

Great, doing a Reset Cloud Data, manually removing both files from System Settings, iCloud, Manage, and then re-enabling iCloud sync results in just the larger file being pushed back to iCloud.

• @ZamboniMan‌ Excellent! Thanks for letting me know! Have an amazing day!

• ZamboniMan
    ZamboniMan
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Things are still not working properly.

• Delete all data from my iOS 8 devices and then set up sync with iCloud to get the latest snapshot from iCloud.
    • Make an edit to a note on iOS since the editing function on the Mac platform is busted for anything longer than a couple of lines.
    • Force a sync on the Mac and the latest changes do not get downloaded.
    • Delete the local data on the Mac, disable iCloud sync and then re-enable iCloud sync and the new changes are there.
    • Check my second iOS 8 device and no new data shows up there until I delete everything and re-sync with iCloud.

This is terribly wrong. Having to manually delete and re-sync data every single time I make an edit and have to remember which device I made that edit on is just asking for data loss.

At least with the previous version, syncing was automatic and working reliably. I hope you can find the source of this problem because this destroys any confidence in 1Password being a reliable data store for sensitive data.

• ZamboniMan
    ZamboniMan
    Community Member
    Options

I switched the sync to use Wifi and none of the above syncing issues from comment #11 appear; you can edit on any device and the changes appear on all the others. This appears to only affect the iCloud sync.

• ZamboniMan
    ZamboniMan
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

The pain keeps on coming.

Now that I'm configured for WiFi Sync:

• iPad 4th gen <--> Mac sync works fine
    • iPhone 5s <--> Mac sync does not sync

When I try to reset the sync method, the Mac does't even show up in the list of options even though it is there for the iPad.

• Rebooting the iPhone 5s produces the same result.
    • Deleting and re-intalling 1Password and the Mac now shows up as a Wifi Sync source.

I used Safari to hit a local web server on my Mac without any problems, so I know that the wifi connection was working properly even though 1Password couldn't find the same machine to sync with.

One more small issue. If you set up Touch ID again on the settings page you have to leave settings and then go back if you want the Lock Now option to permit Touch ID. Any changes you make to settings should take effect immediately if you choose to click on Lock Now.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ZamboniMan‌

When I try to reset the sync method, the Mac does't even show up in the list of options even though it is there for the iPad.

Our developers have just managed to squash a bug where computers with longer names might not show up as a sync source. You should see an update soon that improves 1Password's behaviour here.

One more small issue. If you set up Touch ID again on the settings page you have to leave settings and then go back if you want the Lock Now option to permit Touch ID. Any changes you make to settings should take effect immediately if you choose to click on Lock Now.

Thanks for letting us know about this! I'll pass it along. :)

This discussion has been closed.