1Password 4+ keychain format - has this changed in 5?

Options
dillinga
dillinga
Community Member

Hi,

I'm a new user and have been nosing around my Dropbox and was a little surprised to find that some metadata fields are plaintext. However, after reading this: https://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html it seems a number of changes came in in version 4. Notably, fewer separate files and the new band_X.js files.

I don't have any band files in my store but rather the files named UUID.1password which still contain unencrypted location/title info.

Can anyone comment on why this would be and or whether the format changed yet again in 5?

Thanks,

Tony

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi Tony ( @dillinga‌ )

Unfortunately it gets a little confusing as there are different data formats for different things in v5. There is a format for storing data on your local computer (everyone will have this), an Agile Keychain format which is used when doing Dropbox or Folder syncing, and a CloudKit format [for lack of a better term] that is used when syncing with iCloud.

The documentation on the Agile Keychain format can be found here:

The Agile Keychain format is the most compatible (can be read by everything from 1Password 2 for Mac to 1Password 5 for Mac, 1Password 4 & 5 for iOS, 1Password Reader for Android & 1Password 4 for Android, every version of 1Password for Windows, etc).

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks!

• dillinga
    dillinga
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the response - that was an informative link and marries up nicely with what I see in my Dropbox.

Cheers,

Tony

• Glad Ben was able to help you out, @dillinga. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

This discussion has been closed.