iCloud Drive Not Available [Possibly resolved with iOS 8.1.1]

Options

Comments

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT,

The test would be inconclusive in either case.
    It is already proven that clean install vs upgrade has no effect on the iOS bug. Apps keep crashing and have syncing problems in both environments.
    So, you are just prospecting me a two-case scenario:

1. I enable iCloud Drive, test the sync and it doesn't work
    2. I enable iCloud Drive, test the sync and it works.

In the first case, you gain no insight at all, and end in the same situation you have after an upgrade install. Who's failed, iOS, 1password or both? You would get the same logs you've got so far, and they've not helped in any way.
    In the second case you gain no proof whatsoever about any particular benefit related to a clean install, because, as it is now, the sync is still working in an upgrade install scenario on the iPad.
    This would just be a waste of time, not including the risk of having to reinstall everything once again on both the iphone and iPad after an iCloud Drive corruption. That's not the way to proceed, not even in a testing lab, because you wold gain nothing from it.

The outcome of the Mac test was obvious. How would you explain a case of a corrupted iCloud account which works on osx but just sometimes on iOS? The issue lies on the iOS platform, it has to be seen whether iOs is failing alone - because it IS failing - or if it's taking 1Password with it.

Andreas

• Hi @nrdng,

You're right, neither cases would help us narrow down what the cause was but the second case can help us get more information that either us or Apple can benefit the most from. That's why I asked if there was a chance you'd consider turning it on.

Here's what I'm thinking, there is a way to gather extensive system log in real-time from iOS itself that wouldn't show up in our diagnostic report nor the typical diagnostics that Apple does. You can do it with Xcode if you have it installed or if you only have iTunes installed, use the iOS Console tool. Basically, turn these apps on, start collecting logs before turning on iCloud Drive. You'd get more information about why some apps crash, why 1Password can't connect and so on. There's a good chance the logs won't even have anything that can help Apple or us.

If you want to stay with the current setup and wait until iOS 8.1.1, we can wait with you as well. I do ask that if you are going to wait for this, please PM me and let's see if we can use these tools to collect logs before you proceed. If it didn't help, the logs would give us far more information that we can share with Apple with your permissions.

Let me know what you think or want to do.

Thanks!

• elbertlo
    elbertlo
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I may be able to give more clues:

I use a MAS 1Password on a Mac Mini, as well as 3 iPads, and iPhone 4s, and and iPhone 6. I was using dropbox syncing and switched to iCloud sync a few days ago.

All iPads synced on the first attempt. Both iPhones won't. Erasing iCloud, 1Password app, and all related files didn't help either.

I'm not sure if this is an iCloud drive issue since it works on the iPads but not the iPhones. One of the iPads is cellular, but does not have a simcard inserted, btw.

• MisterLuigi
    MisterLuigi
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I just noticed that syncing among Mac (10.10), iPhone 6+ (8.1), and iPad 3 (8.1) (all running latest 1Password versions) is not working. I am running the Apple Store's version of 1Password for Mac. Bottom line, I am having all the problems stated by others here. I've tried every suggestion. None work. I guess I will use the wifi sync functionality (I tried that and it works perfectly) until Agile figures out a solution, or the problem is solved by iOS 8.1.1. Glad I found this forum or else my OCD nature might have kept me trying to sync using iCloud Drive until I passed out. :D

• MisterLuigi
    MisterLuigi
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I thought I would just pass on that I have had problems with iCloud Drive syncing using other iOS apps. For example, the podcast app, Downcast, has not been syncing between my iPhone and iPad lately. Anyway, FYI.

• Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!

@MisterLuigi,

I thought I would just pass on that I have had problems with iCloud Drive syncing using other iOS apps. For example, the podcast app, Downcast, has not been syncing between my iPhone and iPad lately.

Ah, I was going to ask if you notice other iCloud related issues.

You said the Macs aren't syncing, that's strange because from what we understand, the sync does appear to work between Macs but it is problematic on iOS 8. Can you share more details as what's happening between your Macs, you made changes and it doesn't show up on the other Mac? Any errors?

@elbertlo‌:

All iPads synced on the first attempt. Both iPhones won't. Erasing iCloud, 1Password app, and all related files didn't help either.

It is strange that we see this more often on iPhones and not iPad. The only thing I can think that's different is the cellular settings, especially since you said the iPad cellular is syncing but without a sim card, which means the cellular isn't considered here.

Can you go to iOS Settings > Cellular, scroll down and do you use 1Password under Use Cellular Data For? Is it turned off or turned on? Can you try disabling it, see if iCloud Sync then works in a Wi-Fi network and if not, try turning it back on, see if it syncs at all.

One more thing, please try this:

1. Reboot iPhone
    2. In iOS Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive, turn off support for 1Password and turn it back on.
    3. Reboot once more, any help?
  • elbertlo
    elbertlo
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

It worked!

Here's how I did it:

Turned off Cellular > Use Cellular Data for > 1Password

Reboot

Sync via iCloud

Without booting, it didn't work.

I also erased the data and settings, and it still worked.

• MikeT
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @elbertio,

Wow, that's great news. What if you turn Use Cellular Data back on for 1Password, does it still sync?

@MisterLuigi‌, can you try this and see if it works for you too:

1. Go to iOS Settings > Cellular, scroll down and turn off 1Password under Use Cellular Data For
    2. Reboot
    3. Try iCloud sync again in 1Password
  • elbertlo
    elbertlo
    Community Member
    Options

Turned on Cellular > Use Cellular Data for > 1Password

sync success.

Erase 1Password data and settings

sync success.

Reboot

sync success.

Erase 1Password data and settings

sync success.

• Hi @elbertio,

Thanks, you've been a great help here. Hopefully, we'll see more confirmations soon and probably contact Apple about this.

• MisterLuigi
    MisterLuigi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT,

Old news: I have two Macs. Mac Mini-Mid 2012 and 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro 2014. Unfortunately the MacBook Pro is a managed device from where I teach and I have been forbidden to install Yosemite on it. So, I couldn't check syncing across Macs. Wifi sync across my Mac Mini and iPad 3 and iPhone 6+ worked fine. iCloud sync did not. My personal Mac Mini IS running Yosemite.

New news: I tried elbertio's idea. I turned off 1Password in Settings under "Use Cellular Data" for my iPhone 6+ (It was ON). My iPad 3 is cellular enabled, but I have "Cellular Data" turned OFF as I use my iPhone as a hotspot to connect my iPad to the internet when needed. I rebooted the iPhone 6+. I rebooted the iPad 3. I disabled wifi sync on both the iPhone 6+ and iPad 3 and enabled iCloud sync. I created a test login on 1Password using my iPhone 6+. Then I checked my iPad. Success! The test login appeared on my iPad. But not on my Mac Mini. Hm... Then I went into 1Password Preferences on my Mac Mini and turned OFF "Use wifi to sync this Mac with iOS Devices." Still no luck. Then I restarted my Mac. That did it. Success!

To verify the success of everything I did the following:

1) I changed the password for my test login on my iPhone 6+. The change was picked up by my iPad 3 and Mac Mini.

2) I changed the password again. But, this time on my iPad 3. Successful sync to my iPhone 6+ and Mac Mini.

3) Last, I changed the password again. This time on my Mac Mini. Again, there was a successful sync to my iPhone 6+ and iPad 3.

So, at least for now, iCloud sync appears to once again be working on all three devices. elbertio's protocol appears to work.

Hope this helps. MisterLuigi

• thayneq
    thayneq
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also having issues with iCloud drive not syncing. I have a very simple setup: iPhone 6 and a Mac. Both are running the very latest versions, and I'm still not seeing things sync across devices. On my iPhone I decided to disable syncing and re-enable and now I'm greeted with the "iCloud Drive unavailable" dialog.

I have tried dozens of things and nothing seems to help.

Anything I can do to help get this fixed? It's really disrupting.

• thayneq
    thayneq
    Community Member
    Options

BTW, I just tried this and am now having temporary success:
    1) disable syncing on both mac and iPhone.
    2) Disable Cellular data for 1password.
    3) Reboot iPhone
    4) re-enable syncing on Mac and iPhone.

Now both devices and syncing. I am skeptical that this anything but a temporary workaround. I still think AgileBits needs to dig in and find root cause.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Please try the free 1P5 5.1.2 update which is now available in the App Store (at least, it is in the UK).

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm not sure there are any changes in 5.1.2 that would make a difference for this particular issued, but please do install the update to see if it helps.

• MisterLuigi
    MisterLuigi
    Community Member
    Options

As I described above in excruciating detail :-), turing OFF "Use cellular Data" + Reboot + Re-enable iCloud Sync has fixed the iCloud syncing problem for me. Now, I have iOS 5.1.2 installed. Can I turn "Use cellular Data" back on and not have it gum up the works? I know. I know. I could experiment myself and find out. :-) But, if someone knows the answer it would save me some time.

Thanks, Mr. L

• AgileNeil
    AgileNeil
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

5.1.2 on my iPad Mini 2 and a reboot has done the job for me. Good luck everybody.

• MisterLuigi
    MisterLuigi
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

We may have Joy.

I updated to 5.1.2 on my iPhone 6+ and my iPad 3 AND I turned "Use Cellular Data" back ON.

I changed a test password on my iPhone 6+. The iPad and my Mac Mini did NOT sync to the new password. :-( Then I rebooted the iPhone 6+ and iPad 3 and restarted my Mac Mini. That did it! Syncing via iCloud now is working.

So, I can confirm what AgileNeil stated. Updating to 5.1.2 AND A REBOOT fixes the problem. Let's hope it holds!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AgileNeil and @MisterLuigi, thank you very much for confirming it works now, and for the additional information about rebooting! :smiley:

I'm really happy to hear it's working. Please let us know if you run into more trouble with that.

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

You say you would be interested in the second case. How can it be, then, that you would like to use those tools to collect logs about syncing and connection issues? Haven't I defined the second case as a case where sync works? In that case, there would be nothing to collect.

You probably meant the first case, instead.

If so, you are proposing to set up a sort of real-time debugging in verbose mode, to collect everything and then have someone examine it.
    You know as well as I do, how time-consuming it would be...

As I've already told you, every kind of test on that iPhone is out of question, and that just leaves room for tests on the iPad.
    Since it's probably too late to change Apple's release schedule for 1.8.1, I think we could postpone the test until after it will be released. That way, I'll do first of all an upgrade, then an iCloud sync test, and if something will go wrong, we'll proceed with a clean install and a debug to narrow it down.

Andreas

• Hi @nrdng,

At this point, we're thinking there is something wrong with the cellular options in iOS 8.x. We have at least 3-4 folks who said toggling it and rebooting have fixed the problem for good.

If so, you are proposing to set up a sort of real-time debugging in verbose mode, to collect everything and then have someone examine it. You know as well as I do, how time-consuming it would be...

Yes, that's why I'll analyze it and/or someone on our development team instead. There would be a lot of red herrings but we've had limited success before with these logs.

That way, I'll do first of all an upgrade, then an iCloud sync test, and if something will go wrong, we'll proceed with a clean install and a debug to narrow it down.

If we're talking about iCloud not Available error, a clean install shouldn't be required anymore. As mentioned above, we think there is a bug with the cellular preferences on iOS that seems to block CloudKit access for no reasons. We hope to get in touch with Apple to figure out what the connection between both is because we don't know if we're doing something wrong with our code or there is a bug in iOS.

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

It might not be related, but this iPad is a WiFi/Cellular model with no SIM, and ever since iOS8.0 it has been getting the "No SIM Card Installed" pop-up randomly, several times each day. Every cellular IPad without a SIM card and with iOS8.x has the same issue. Under iOS7.x you only got the pop-up after the device had just been turned on, or after a reset.

It goes without saying that we've all been reporting it on Apple's support forum since the day iOS8 came out, but Apple has not solved it neither in iOS8.0.2 nor iOS8.1.

Andreas

• While doing some testing to try to learn more about this problem, I got myself into a situation where my Mac now behaves very similarly to how the iPhones in this thread are behaving where everything is setup correctly, and yet I'm getting the no-go from the system to use iCloud/CloudKit. I'm not sure that this is the exact same problem as you're all experiencing, but I'll definitely be poking around to see if I can get the system to give me more information about what's going on.

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member
    Options

Et voilà, finally, the update to 5.1.2 has broken my iCloud Drive sync again... :(

• MrRooni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Good morning folks. For those of you that are still experiencing the iCloud Not Available error I'd like to ask you to help us collect some more information.

1. To start, please install this mobile configuration profile on your device. You should be able to open this link directly on your device to install it. http://i.agilebits.com/mrrooni/CloudKit Debug Logging.mobileconfig
    2. Next try and set up iCloud syncing until you get the error.
    3. Sync your device with iTunes and send the logs from ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/[device name]/DiagnosticLogs/com.apple.cloudkit.asl to me at mrrooni@agilebits.com

Let me know if you have any trouble here.

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni,

How will we uninstall that profile on iOS8, after the test?

Andreas

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member
    Options

Trying to sync via iCloud Drive again:

1. iCloud sync disabled in app's settings

2. IPad reset

3. 1P launched

4. iCloud sync re-enabled. I get a "1Password found existing data in iCloud"

5. I choose to merge. Success, sync works again.

Andreas

• mchinsomboon
    mchinsomboon
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue - I don't want to have to delete the app, because then I'll lose my data.

• Hi everyone having issues with this...

I spent the majority of yesterday fighting an issue that was almost exactly like this one on my Mac yesterday, trying to get more and more information to send to Apple in a bug report.

The issue seems to be that cloudd, the thing that manages all iCloud communication gets stuck in a certain state. It wasn't affecting all of iCloud, not even all of iCloud Drive here... I could still save and read documents. But as soon as I'd write code that would ask for CloudKit syncing availability, it would give me back the status saying that CloudKit was unavailable, with no real error indicating what's going on. Everything on my Mac was correctly setup, as it sounds it is for most if not all of you on your iOS devices. But we're getting back the incorrect status.

We filed two bugs with Apple, one for the Mac and one for iOS. We'd love to get more information from those of you who are affected by this before you try my workarounds. All you need to do is follow the instructions above that @mrrooni posted. If you're worried about uninstalling the profile afterwards, it's as simple as going into Settings > General > Profile, selecting the CloudKit Debug Logging profile, and then tapping Delete Profile.

We have two things to try, which I believe both accomplish the same thing : they seem to cause cloudd to either restart or forget its bad state.

Workarounds (may not work for everyone):

1. Reboot the device.
    2. Go into Settings > Cellular, and disable "Use Cellular Data For" for 1Password. Once you're up and running you can re-enable this.

We want to provide Apple with as much data as possible so that they can fix this bug. If you're affected by this (and you've double checked that you're signed in to iCloud, and that iCloud Drive is enabled), please take the few minutes it'd take to run through @mrrooni's instructions.

Thanks

Rick

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion,

Apart from the fact that now iCloud sync works again, here, if I'm not wrong there's no longer a setting for profiles on iOS8.x. That's why I was asking in the first place...

Andreas

This discussion has been closed.