Understanding Updates

Options
rappar
rappar
Community Member

Every so often, I get updates to the 1Password I own. When this happens, I always opt for the update, install and then log in again.

However, this means for a brief time, I have two 1Password icons in my doc on my Mac. If I forget to click on the new icon in the Doc and take the option 'Keep in Doc' does that mean my 1Password has not be updated because the next time I open it from the Doc, I go back to the earlier version?

The reason I ask is that recently when I updated, I was told there had been 5 updates since I last updated yet, as I say, I always update when one arrives. That might have been caused by the fact that I had to switch from the site version to the Mac App version as I wanted to use iCloud for sync due to problems with Dropbox sync.

Thanks
Ron

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

@rappar‌

That occurrence of 2 icons in the Dock usually happens because the old shortcut referred to 1Password 4 and the new version was named 1Password 5. So the old shortcut should not work any longer.

You would generally not see this behavior on the Mac App Store as the app is simply called 1Password.

If could also occurs if you have an older version on a backup drive connected to your machine and some times the updater picks up on this older version. That usually only happens with the Mac App Store app at least that I have seen.

Based upon your description I would check your applications folder for 2 version of 1Password, one most likely is named 1Password and the other possibly 1Password 4 or 1Password 5.

Since you indicated you would like to continue using the Mac App Store version with iCloud sync, you would remove the one named 1Password 4 or 1Password 5.

• Please note : Simply drag the app in the applications folder to the trash. Do not use any app cleaning tools, as they can get over zealous and remove way more that you desired. Some have removed data files in my understanding. Which is not good, obviously !
  • Hi @rapper,

Are you keeping both 1Password versions on your Mac? 1Password does not prompt for updates if it is from the Mac App Store. Only OS X or Mac App Store will alert you about updates to 1Password and it doesn't happen that often. We haven't released an update yet for 1Password 5 at the Mac App Store, it is still at 5.0 and we're waiting for Apple to approve the 5.0.2 update.

It sounds like what's happening is that you're using 1Password from Mac App Store but the other Mac version is still checking for updates and prompt you about each beta update (we've only released one stable update so far). I'm not sure why you saw 5 updates unless you started using our beta version.

To find out, please open your Applications and look for 1Password apps in there, how many do you see?

This discussion has been closed.