Safari 8/Yosemite Issue with 1Password Mini for Mac

Options
motik
motik
Community Member

Hi there,

I have an issue with 1Password Mini not filling out login details to my sites via the keyboard shortcut key I've set.

What I am seeing:

• When I perform keyboard shortcut to log into something, nothing happens
  • I click on the icon in the browser toolbar for 1Password Mini and it takes me to a 'install the browser extension for Safari'
  • When I use Chrome, I don't have this issue. It works perfectly fine.

What I have tried:

• Re-installing 1Password App
  • Re-installing Safari Browser Extension
  • Ensured that in the Preferences for 1Password that (In General) that the two top checkboxes are checked - for running in background etc.
  • 'Reset' Safari (ie. clearing browser history, data etc.)

Hope someone can help me out :smile:

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi @motik,

That doesn't sound like fun. I'm sorry that you're hitting this issue. I'm not entirely sure what could be causing this. I have one suspicion though... that maybe the permissions for Safari's Extensions folder might be broken. You can check this by:

• Open a Finder Window
    • Use the Go > Go to Folder... menu item
    • In the text field that appears, copy/paste this in (including the ~) : ~/Library/Safari
    • Click Go
    • Finder will navigate to that folder (it's normally hidden, that's why we use that trick to get to it)
    • Find and select the Extensions folder inside of ~/Library/Safari
    • Use the File > Get Info menu item
    • A panel will show up with a bunch of information about the folder. The last item it should have is called Sharing & Permissions. Make sure it's expanded.
    • Make sure that the row that corresponds to your user has Read & Write permissions. If it doesn't, you may need to unlock the panel via the lock icon in the lower right to make the changes.

Here is how it looks like on my Mac:

Restart Safari, and see if that works.

If that wasn't it, you could check to make sure that Safari has been saving its extension list in your keychain (they used to save this to a file but moved it to the keychain in Yosemite). You can do that by:

• Launch Keychain Access from /Applications/Utilities/
    • Search for 'Safari'
    • You should see an item listed as "Safari Extensions List"
    • Double click that item. A window will be displayed with additional information. Select the Access Control tab.
    • In the Access Control tab, ensure that Safari shows up in the list of applications that are always allowed access. If it isn't, add it via the + button.

I hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Rick

• motik
    motik
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @rickfillion‌, thanks for getting back to me. I tried your first suggestion and it was set up the way you indicated, but on trying your second suggestion, everything looked the same as you described too - but, I persevered by removing Safari from the list, re-adding it and then restarted the browser and it works now!

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of @rickfillion‌ I'm glad to hear his extremely powerful brain was able to resolve your issue. I had no idea Safari did that in Yosemite so I've learned something new here. Apple does like to keep people on their toes...

• @motik : huh... can't say I'd have thought of removing and re-adding Safari to that list. Good idea. I'll add that to my list of things to try in such a situation.

Thanks

Rick

• wvtechie
    wvtechie
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having exactly the same problem. I've tried all of the suggestions above, and added rebooting the Mac to list. All to no avail. Help, please.

• wvtechie
    wvtechie
    Community Member
    Options

Here's a little more info. When Safari is launched, this appears in the console:

11/9/14 12:14:25.210 PM 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[555]: 502007 [EXT:0x7f8559591c50:] E findExtensionProcessForPort: | Failed to find extension process for 'safari-extension://com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2bua8c4s2c:50208', my PID: 555, invalid output: '555
    ', apps found: (
    )

• rickfillion
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @wvtechie‌,

Thanks for including the console message. That certainly eliminates a lot of possibilities. For it to have gotten as far as that log statement in the code, means that Safari started a session with the mini, but that the mini wasn't able to find Safari in the list of connected apps to verify its code signature. You're only seeing a small subset of the logging statements in place in this code in the console. If you generate a Diagnostics Report, we should be able to see the others, and it may provide us with a hint about what's going on. Please include a link to this thread in the mail you send to us so that we can connect the dots.

Rick

ref: HLE-87695-764

This discussion has been closed.