Bug: Can no longer copy item titles [Known issue]

Options
froamer
froamer
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

Hi, we manage email accounts for customers. I have hundreds of email addresses and passwords in 1Password stored as "passwords", where the name is the email address. I used to be able to copy the password AND the email address (name) but now I can only copy the password. This means I now have to edit the record, select all the text in its name (with the chance of corrupting it by mistake) and manually copying it.

This is much more effort than it used to be and it leaves the copied data in the clipboard which is a security concern.

Any chance we can have back the ability to copy the item names back?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @froamer‌

I apologize for the confusion here. The 'Passwords' category might not be the best place to store your customers' email accounts. In general, the 'Passwords' category is used to store generated passwords that have not yet been converted into 'Logins'. In that sense, it's a bit of a safeguard in case 1Password doesn't ask you to update a Login entry after you've filled in a generated password on a website. I also store the passwords for my secondary vaults.

If you're storing email accounts, have you considered using the 'Email Accounts' category in 1Password? This should provide the flexibility that you're looking for, with one-click copy of the important fields.

• froamer
    froamer
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi Megan, thanks for getting back so quickly! Yep Email's would have been a better place to store them. Not sure that was an option when I bought 1Password years ago. Unfortunately I have hundreds of them, so converting them is quite a chore. Also this is just an example, there are lots of reasons to want to copy the name of an item e.g. copy the name of a software package I have stored the license for, or the name of a secure note. It looks like the only way to do this now is to replicate the name in some other field in the item, which seems a little crazy.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @froamer‌

Thanks so much for the clarification here. If you purchased 1Password back in the days of version 3, you should have seen an 'Accounts' category, which is the pre-cursor to our 'Email accounts' category and would have served roughly the same purpose. In any case, I can see how transferring a bunch of them right now isn't the easiest thing to do.

I've done some checking here, and it does seem more than a bit odd that you can no longer copy the title of an item. There are a lot of cases where that could be useful. I've filed an improvement request with our developers to find out just what happened to that option.

ref: OPM-2282

• froamer
    froamer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan. A great company and great software!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @froamer,

Thanks for the kind words ... and your patience while we work to get this sorted out! If you have any further questions or concerns, you know where to find us. :)

This discussion has been closed.