Change Master Password

Options
DATElliott
DATElliott
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

I created a Master Password as part of setting up 1Password approximately 3 weeks. My account is syncing with iCloud.

A few days after setting up the software, I changed the Master Password via Preferences.

Now ... when I remove the 1Password software from my Mac and reinstall it, I am required to use the ORIGINAL Master Password to unlock it. It defaults back to the original Master Password. (Of course, this is a security risk since a compromised original Master Password can be used to access the account simply by removing and reinstalling the 1Password software and using the original Master Password.)

I've removed and reinstalled and changed the Master Password more than a half dozen times to test this out. Always the same result. The new installation of the desktop clients always (without exception) reverts back to the original Master Password that was created when I initially setup my 1Password vault.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Thanks!

Comments

• DATElliott
    DATElliott
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

--

• Hi @DATElliott‌,

I'm sorry to hear that this is causing problems, this is a known issue from our end, and one I hope to be able to tackle soon. The bug number for it is OPM-2545 in case you want to look out for when it gets fixed.

Rick

ref: OPM-2545

• DATElliott
    DATElliott
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update, Rick.

• DATElliott
    DATElliott
    Community Member
    Options

Rick, you provided the bug number to me, but where would I see this again, in your release notes? Discussion members don't have access to your bug list, do we? (In other words, you pointed out that I could "look out" for it when it gets fixed.)

• Hi @DATElliott,

That's right, our bug tracker is internal. However, we do often include bug numbers in the release notes, so you can keep an eye out there.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all. I just want to confirm if this is related to a similar issue that I'm having. Running the latest OSes and 1P App versions, I changed my Master Password on my MAS copy of 1Password but iOS is not picking up the change. Even if I manually change the Master Password again on iOS, upon reinstall of the iOS app, the old Master Password is requested. Don't mean to hijack but I believe this is the same issue and wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

• DATElliott
    DATElliott
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

ahankins, sounds like the same bug. I think Agile has a work around, but they're working on clearing it up in a future release. You'd have to email Agile Support to get the workaround. Maybe Jasper can help. I decided to just wait for the bug fix so I don't know how involved the workaround is.

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

@ahankins‌

I found the problem related to the storage in iCloud. Go the the Mac where everything is correct. Temporarily select Dropbox sync. I'm not really recommending Dropbox but this action will cause iCloud to dump its data. Then select iCloud again and wait for the sync to occur. Finally, check your IOS device.

• Hi @ahankins,

Yep, it sounds like the same issue. Are you using iCloud sync?

Master Password changes do not sync via iCloud in the current version, but this will hopefully be fixed in our next update.

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info everyone. Following the instructions above and a little bit of finagling, I got my iOS devices to pickup the password change. Thanks again!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ahankins‌

I'm glad you got it working and hopefully it won't be long before you don't have to use a workaround :smile:

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

@ahankins‌

Happy to help.

This discussion has been closed.