Dropbox sync stopped working on iOS

Options
Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password - Dropbox Sync works on OS X 10.9.5 but not iOS 8.

Comments

• carsonsd
    carsonsd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there, I have been using 1Password for a long time, and find that it is becoming an essential tool to keep track of all my sensitive information. I use if on both my PC and my iPhone 5. I just discovered that it has stopped syncing between the two, which greatly reduces its utility. What do I do to fix this? I don't want to spend any time on this; I want to be told how to fix it. Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @carsonsd, I moved your message to a new discussion, as I think it's probably a different issue.

Please open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Sync. Does that show the Sync Service is Dropbox, or does it say Start Syncing?

If it says Start Syncing, that means Dropbox sync has been disabled, so that explains why it isn't working. In that case, please set it up again by following these steps.

On the other hand, if Dropbox sync is still enabled, what happens if you tap Sync Now? How long ago was the Last Sync?

• chadcal
    chadcal
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG I have an issue with the Dropbox 1Password sync on iOS as well. I have tried hitting "Sync Now" multiple times (and over the past couple days) but it's not working. The last sync says "16 days ago". Any tips?

• tommunch
    tommunch
    Community Member
    Options

Mine is doing the same thing. It shows 8 days. I just recently established a new vault and synced all my devices to it. Everything was syncing then, but evidently it stopped 8 days ago now. I discovered it when I added a new login today on my iPhone and then tried to access it from my iPad tonight.

• chadcal
    chadcal
    Community Member
    Options

I forgot to mention, I'm on an iPhone 6+ using iOS 8.1

• Phil_Herste
    Phil_Herste
    Community Member
    Options

Same Problem (iPhone 5, iOS 8.1; iPad Air, iOS 8.1). Deactivating the sync service and connecting to dropbox agin will fix it for this time. But after that its stops again. Tapping sync now says syncing for 1-2 secons but has no effect... Last sync is 7 days ago.

• sphardy
    sphardy
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I too experience this - identical symptoms on both iPhone 5 and iPad mini, both running iOS 8.1

Similarly deactivating and reactivating temporarily solves the issue.

(As an aside - I have a number of apps that, since the release of iOS 8, very often "lose" their saved login credentials and force me to reauthenticate. Makes me wonder if this is an iOS issue rather than being specifically a 1P issue)

• MortalWombatUK
    MortalWombatUK
    Community Member
    Options

I too have this issue. I have an iPhone 6 on iOS 8.1. The last sync with Dropbox on my iPhone was 4 weeks ago! Tapping Sync Now did nothing. I re activated syncing by tapping Change Dropbox and re authenticating the account... Will see how long it behaves!

• tommunch
    tommunch
    Community Member
    Options

Disabled and reconnected Dropbox sync and merged vaults and got it to sync this morning. I don't think this is the best way, is it?

• EllenH
    EllenH
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Last sync 4 weeks ago. The line with the word "Items" on the left and the number of items on the right just bounces continuously and nothing happens. This on an iPad Air running iOS 8.1. At least I'm happy to see I'm not alone... Will check back to see if there is a fix.

• EllenH
    EllenH
    Community Member
    Options

There's another thread about this problem and the solution suggested is to remove 1Password and reinstall it.

see https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/30740/ipad-not-syncing-via-dropbox

I did this on my two iPads and, as far as I can see, and for now, it seems to fix the problem.

The only strange thing is that, on the iPad Air 2, the bouncing line is still there, but on the iPad mini, it is perfectly still...

Anyway, for the time being, it seems to be working.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chadcal, @tommunch, @Phil_Herste, @sphardy, @MortalWombatUK, and @EllenH,

I'm sorry you're all experiencing this problem! It's definitely a known issue, and one that should hopefully be fixed in the next update. In the meantime, a workaround (as some of you have discovered) is to disable & re-enable Dropbox sync.

For some more thorough steps, please see Post #2 in the link from @EllenH (thanks for finding & posting that!). I've also previously posted a variation of those steps in another discussion about this issue. Either method should get the sync working again, at least temporarily.

We're very sorry for the inconvenience! Please let us know if you need more help with that.

• mrhoni
    mrhoni
    Community Member
    Options

Desktop is 1Password version 4.4.3. iPhone and iPad are on version 5.1.1
    Dropbox sync is setup.

Entry was created on my Mac. This entry appears on my iPhone but not on my iPad.
    On my iPad Sync screen it says last sync was 11 days ago. I click Sync Now, it tells me its syncing for just a few seconds and then returns to "Sync Now" and Last Sync is still 11 days ago and this entry has not appeared. I did quite the 1Password app and relaunched it with no success.

Mac, iPhone and iPad are all pointing to the same agilekeychain file on dropbox

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrhoni,

I merged your message into this thread for the same issue. This should hopefully be fixed in our next update, but for now you can get Dropbox sync working again by following steps from the links in post #13 above.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! Let us know if you need more help with that.

• ericsh
    ericsh
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add my name to the list who are observing this issue. In my case, every time I re-enable sync, I get dire warnings about vault mismatches. Is that part of the same issue?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ericsh,

I'm sorry you're also experiencing the Dropbox sync issue!

The Vault Mismatch warning is normal if your 1Password data in Dropbox is different than on your device - which would happen if you made changes to 1Password while Dropbox sync wasn't working. We have more information about that message here: Vault Mismatch

• tommunch
    tommunch
    Community Member
    Options

How is the next update coming along? I've had to disable sync and merge vaults pretty much every time I needed my data to sync across my Mac, iPhone, and iPad. This only makes them sync a few times before I have to repeat it again.

• EllenH
    EllenH
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

@tommunch‌

Did you uninstall and reinstall as suggested in the link in post #12 above? I did and have had no problem since then (that's four days...). I think just forcing a new sync with Dropbox by disabling and reenabling it is not enough. The link suggests making a separate backup first, before uninstalling, which I did, but everything went smoothly so I just deleted it after I was sure everything was OK.

• tommunch
    tommunch
    Community Member
    Options

I'll try it now, but since this is a known issue, I'm not hopeful about the outcome.

• tommunch
    tommunch
    Community Member
    Options

Done. Crossing my fingers.

• ericsh
    ericsh
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Thanks Drew. Interestingly, I have not been making changes to any of my login info in 1password from either my iPhone or iPad. Looking forward to the update that resolves this! Also, has any thought been given to generating a notification when the sync gets disabled?

Also, how about providing an option when merging mismatched vaults to have one side overwrite the other?

• Ben
    Options

Also, has any thought been given to generating a notification when the sync gets disabled?

For sure. We definitely want to come up with a more robust system that can make such notifications when there is an issue (if we are able to detect one).

Also, how about providing an option when merging mismatched vaults to have one side overwrite the other?

I like the idea. Obviously it would need to come with a big warning indicating you need to make a backup before proceeding, but yes, I think that would be a sold addition. I'll pass the feedback along to our developers.

• Vince_Green
    Vince_Green
    Community Member
    Options

I'll post here to echo the same issue. Stuck at "Last Sync 9 Days Ago", Items 657, slight bounce to the line.

I have disconnected the link to the keychain, uninstalled 1Password for iOS, powered down, powered up, re-installed 1Password for iOS, linked the keychain and Synced.

It seems to be working but the line is always bouncing. That bounce now means something is not working, whether it is or isn't. Why would it bounce if the app is stable?

I trust the fix is coming much sooner than later.

Great application. Thanks for all the work.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Vince_Green,

Our update for version 5.1.2 is now available, and it should fix the Dropbox sync problem you're having. Can you please install the update from the App Store and let us know if it helps? If you don't see it as an update in the App Store right away, it should show up there sometime today.

• paddypdx
    paddypdx
    Community Member
    Options

I just updated to 5.1.2 and Dropbox sync is still not working. Still keeps bouncing the items count and says Last Sync was 16 hours ago. Please advise.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paddypdx,

Please disable Dropbox sync, then re-enable it. Does that make any difference?

• paddypdx
    paddypdx
    Community Member
    Options

that makes a difference only in as much as that is how I got around this problem previously. But then at a later time I was back in 1Password iOS it would force me to do that again just to get it to sync again. And, this also creates a warning about a mismatch that I have to agree to merge even though it doesn't want to. I will do this again this time but are you saying that after deleting the dropbox and re-merging it again will not not need to do it again every few days?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@paddypdx, this issue was caused by a bug that should be fixed in 5.1.2, so you are correct - after getting Dropbox sync working again, it should continue to work.

Turning the sync off and on again should do the trick, but if you'd like, you can try some more thorough steps:

• First, make sure you have all your 1Password data synced/backed up somewhere other than your iOS device. If your 1Password data is up to date in Dropbox, that's fine. You can also save a backup to your computer by following the steps here.

• Next, open 1Password and go to Settings.

• Scroll down and go to Advanced.
    • Tap Erase Data and Settings, then confirm you want to do that.
    • When you see the message confirming the data is deleted, tap Quit.
    • Restart your iOS device (hold down the power button for a few seconds and "slide to power off", then turn it back on again).

• Reopen 1Password and choose Sync existing vault.

• Choose Sync with Dropbox and follow any additional steps to complete the setup.
  • Cenkie
    Cenkie
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Drew,

I'm on iPad Air 2 Wifi only model, iOS 8.1 with the latest version of 1Password Pro. I did erase data and settings and reconnected to Dropbox to start the sync. It connects and gets all the data from Dropbox but if I add a new item to 1Password, it won't sync. I check the syncing, it always says in progress, and if I try to tap sync now, it briefly changes for a moment but nothing happens. The issue still continues for me.

• tarpenbek
    tarpenbek
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Drew,

no difference for me after update even after execution of procedure in post #29.

This discussion has been closed.