Incorrect version of 1Password mini

Options
primmybdh
primmybdh
Community Member

I have just updated to Yosemite. This seemed to mess up 1Password. I eventually found it and when I tried to open it a message came up saying I needed to update to 1Password 5 (I think I had 4.2.5 before). I tried to update and 1Password downloaded a file but now I have a message saying the following:
'The system launched an incorrect version of 1Password mini. Instead of 'Applications/1Password 5 app/contents/Loginitems' it started '-Downloads/1Password 5 app/Contents/Library/Loginitems.'

Help!! As you can see, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Comments

• Joel Waxman
    Joel Waxman
    Community Member
    Options

I have multiple USB drives with clone backups using SuperDuper. When I run 1Password I get an error that the wrong version of iPassword mini is being loaded. It is showing one of the backup drives not the Macintosh drive. How do I prevent this from happening?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

You have more than one version of 1P on your disk (or on a disk which is connected to your Mac). Because of the way Yosemite works you need to have only one version. Try using Spotlight to search for "1Password" and see what turns up. You would need to delete any other version (including from the trash). (If it's on a backup disk attached to your Mac some people have found that disabling Spotlight from indexing that disk works.)

Edit: it sounds as though you may still have 1P5 in your downloads folder, so if you've already got a copy in Applications delete it from Downloads.

Stephen

• primmybdh
    primmybdh
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much Stephen. I deleted 1P5 from the download folder and checked Spotlight. That shows I have 1P 3.8.22, 1P Troubleshooting, 1P Uninstaller v 1.0, 1P Uninstaller-2 v 1.0 and 1P mini 5.0.2. Should I get rid of any of those. Wish I'd stayed with Mavericks - everything worked then!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Does 1P5 work now? If it does don't tempt providence by deleting anything else just for the moment! If it doesn't please post again.

Stephen

• primmybdh
    primmybdh
    Community Member
    Options

It does. Thank you so much. I'll leave well alone now.

• On behalf of Stephen, you're welcome.

• 68golfballs
    68golfballs
    Community Member
    Options

I paid for 1P5 but found I cannot download it because I have an iMac 10.8.5 and need 10.10 or later….or so my computer tells me. 1P5 is in my Application file which I cannot download. Is this correct? I had no problem downloading 1P in 2011. I'm new to all this. Help. Thanks.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

1P5 works, and is offered as an update, only if you're running OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

Stephen

• Bryce Ralph
    Bryce Ralph
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem and agile seem to not answer my email....It opens a datafile on my backup drive. NO OTHER app ever does this!! This is dangerous!!! How can it happen?! Surely as with all other apps it launches the datafile from the BOOTED drive not some random other.... I back to a usb drive daily with CCC so it is always mounted. 1Password should not open randomly files on another drive. So I save something new and it gets saved to the other drive without me knowing, then after a backup its gone forever!!! They need to fix this. I repeat no other app has ever or does this. 1 password needs to check that it is loading the datafile from the booted drive and not some random other one. I also backup to timemachine and the cloud...Is it going to pull an old data file from there too without me knowing. Please fix this urgently and respond to emails.... Not impressed at all!!

• Bryce Ralph
    Bryce Ralph
    Community Member
    Options

I have also lost the ability to sync via icloud even tho it was purchased from app store so this would not happen..... Dropbox sync is not reliable and I have to stop syncing and setup again every day or so to make it work again on both my iphone and ipad.... icloud used to work perfectly. I want icloud option back again as I paid for....password file is too critical for basic faults like these!!!

• Hi Bryce,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. When using 1Password in Yosemite, you need to make sure that you have a single instance of 1Password on your hard drives. With Yosemite came launchd 2.0, which is responsible (the parent process) for all processes and apps. With this new version of launchd, there is no guarantee which instance of 1Password mini is launched when 1Password (the main app) starts. That's why it is necessary to keep a single copy of 1Password available on all your hard drives. We've filed a bug report with Apple (rdar://18113979), and we hoped it would be fixed in the official release of Yosemite but unfortunately it is still there.

1Password 5 for Mac is a major release and one of the significant changes we made was a complete rewrite of iCloud syncing. 1Password 5 switched to the new Apple iCloud "CloudKit" technology which is only available on OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, and limited to Mac App Store apps only. After this change we were no longer able to offer iCloud syncing in the web store version of 1Password.

I have also lost the ability to sync via icloud even tho it was purchased from app store so this would not happen.

If you purchased 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, and you're using that version, iCloud sync is available to you. If you're having any trouble with it, please let us know and we can help.

Dropbox sync is not reliable and I have to stop syncing and setup again every day or so to make it work again on both my iphone and iPad

This is currently a known issue on 1Password for iOS for some users, and it should be fixed in the next update. Sorry for the trouble!

• Bryce Ralph
    Bryce Ralph
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the information. I have excluded 1passowrd application from the backups. It was easy enough. However it appears an update of 1password as prompted at some stage has created two data files. If I open 1 password from my app store (purchased apps) it loads an older outdated datafile. How can I tell it to open the newest one and then I should be all good. There appears to be only one version of 1pass in my apps folder and its called 1password 5, but obviously there is another there?? as no option of icloud syncing is there at all. Help again please

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bryce Ralph

It sounds like you've had both the MAS and webstore version on your machine recently if I didn't know better. The version from the Mac App Store is always titled 1Password while the version direct from AgileBits is titled 1Password 4 and 1Password 5 and they do store their data in different places.

I suspect what you might need to do is delete the copy of 1Password you have and download again from the Mac App Store but before doing that I think it would be prudent to review a diagnostic report of your machine.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Bryce Ralph
    Bryce Ralph
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Have sent it just now. Look forward to getting this reolved. Cheers

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bryce Ralph‌ I've found your report so we'll be in touch via email.

ref: WDH-26951-298

This discussion has been closed.