Using 1password for Apple ID

Options
charlie999
charlie999
Community Member

The other day I changed my Apple ID to a 30 character generated password using this app but have changed it back now to a shorter memorable word as it's a nightmare with the longer one.

Basically every time the iPhone pops up asking me for my Apple ID I have to quit why it asked logo into 1password copy the password to the clip board and then make the iPhone ask me the Apple ID password again and then paste it in.

This is far longer winded that just typing a shorter password but obviously not as secure. The best solution would be the option to access 1password from the Apple ID login screen but I'm sure that would mean apple allowing the access like other apps have done.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @charlie999,

As you suspected, we don't have any control over whether the Apple ID login screen allows access to 1Password. This is something Apple would need to add to their password prompt.

The only workaround for this (which you also discovered) is to copy your Apple ID password from the 1Password app first, then go back and get the prompt to appear so you can paste it in. I'm sorry there's not a better way to do that!

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

No I thought that would be the case. It's a shame really because when the password screen pops up you can't even multi task 1password and go back to the same place when it's copied to clip board.

Never mind it's only one password. The rest can be handled by 1password.

• MikeT
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @charlie999,

Yep, it really is a shame, I also often hoped that the AppleID prompt would remain when I switch to and from 1Password.

One thing you can do for now is send Apple feedback on this and ask them to not kill the prompt when you are multi-tasking.

On OS X, you can use 1Password mini to quickly copy the password and paste into the password field without the prompt disappearing on you.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I suggest using dice ware to construct a long memorable password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @danco, thanks for the suggestion! :)

This discussion has been closed.