iCloud sync problem since yosemite

Options
rnarian
rnarian
Community Member

I got two macs, both set up to sync via iCloud. But apparently they don't sync to the same location.

Mac #1 syncs to iCloud, Mac #2 syncs to iCloud » onepassword_data

My guess was that I need to delete the onepassword_data folder to get it working on Mac #2. (Mac #1 is the one with the correct database, because it still syncs with my iPhone.)

But strangely enough I can't find anything 1Password related in my iCloud...

Any idea how to fix this?

Comments

• Hi @rnarian,

What version(s) of 1Password are you currently running on your two Macs? Also, what version(s) of OS X do you have?

But strangely enough I can't find anything 1Password related in my iCloud...

1Password syncs using CloudKit, not iCloud Drive, so that's why you're not seeing anything related to 1Password in your iCloud Drive folder.

• hodahle
    hodahle
    Community Member
    Options

I have 4 devices that need to sync: MacBook Air (holds the most up to date passwords), iMac, iPhone and iPad.
    All are on latest versions of os x and ios. All have last versions of 1Password, bought in App Store.
    All are connected to the same iCloud account. All syncing is now disabled and I have used the Help/Troubleshooting/Remove data in iCloud.

Now trying to start everything up again on the MacBook Air, but it will not sync with iCloud. Just a small weel spinning. Into my second try now, but to no avail. You promised that with 1P5 bought in App Store everything iCloud should be solved, but it is def not.

• rnarian
    rnarian
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @JasperP,

thank you for your response.

What version(s) of 1Password are you currently running on your two Macs? Also, what version(s) of OS X do you have?

Both Macs are running the latest 1Password from the Mac AppStore and Yosemite. But I first noticed the problem when I upgraded Mac #1 to Yosemite and Mac #2 was still on Mavericks. My hope was that something changed in the way 1Password syncs, but since I'm on Yosemite with both Macs now I'm afraid it won't magically fix itself.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rnarian‌

Experiencing the issue when you were using both 1Password 5 and 4 between a Yosemite and Mavericks machine, that (sadly) was to be expected due to CloudKit being restricted to Yosemite and iOS 8 and 1Password 5 relies on CloudKit.

What might be best in your situation is to perform a backup in 1Password on both machines, disable iCloud sync on both machines, deleting the iCloud data in the process and then re-enable iCloud syncing to see if that resolves the issue.

1. To backup in 1Password go into 1Password's preferences and then into the Backup tab. Click the Backup now button and you now have a current backup. Do this on each machine (just cover if the vaults are different at the moment).
    2. Still in preferences go the Sync tab and click on Change Syncing (to change sync methods requires the current to be disabled. Do this on both machines. After iCloud syncing is disabled on both, go into System Preferences : iCloud and click on the Manage... button in the bottom right hand corner. In there delete all instances of 1Password.
    3. On machine #1 re-enable iCloud syncing and wait for it to report that it has successfully done so, then repeat on machine two. If it asks if you want to merge you can do so knowing that you have a backup on each machine that you can use in the event of any unforeseen hiccup.

Hopefully at that point everything will look like it is working which you can test by adding a test item to one machine and ensuring it syncs to the other.

Let us know how you get along.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hodahle‌ With iCloud disabled on all machines, it might be worth trying a reboot on your MacBook Air, confirm that all iCloud data pertaining to 1Password is removed (check System Preferences : iCloud and then click on the Manage... button in the bottom right corner, there should be no 1Password data in there). Does the behaviour you observed the last time repeat itself?

• rnarian
    rnarian
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables,

It seems like after installing Yosemite and upgrading on Mac #2 the iCloud sync indeed fixed itself in magical manner.

Thanks for your detailed explanation anyway.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rnarian‌ Glad to hear it's all up and running :smile: If you have any other issues you know where to come.

This discussion has been closed.