Sync to DropBox from Mac, Windows, and IPhones

Options
dickbrannin
dickbrannin
Community Member

with a lot of effort I finally got my wife's IMac (OS X 10.9.5) to sync with my DropBox so that we could share all of our passwords in a single file. Recently it seems that her IMac has another sync location--we did not make any change, but maybe one of the many updates resulted in a change? I have tried to repoint her 1 Password to sync with my DropBox but always run into a password issue, where none should exist. I am also concerned about identifying any new passwords she has stored that would over write or be over written in a merge process. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Comments

• dickbrannin
    dickbrannin
    Community Member
    Options

I am using 4.4.2 from Mac app store

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dickbrannin‌

No update should ever be changing the Dropbox location regardless of the source of the update. Can I just clarify, when you say password issue are you referring to when 1Password informs you there are differences and asks if you really wish to merge?

What I would probably suggest in your case is to make a known backup on both your machine and your wife's before proceeding. This can be done from within 1Password's preferences and in the Backup tab. In there all you need to do is click on the Backup now button. By doing that on both machines you know that no matter what happens next you have a saved state you can both revert to.

I don't mean to panic you by suggesting a backup, merely it's always a good thing to do no matter how routine you think any task is.

The fact is that the differences between the Dropbox sync keychain and your wife's vault are probably minor and that merging will be as effortless as clicking on merge. Conflicts are handled by 1Password 4 by creating conflict fields and you can easily search for this using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌥⌘F and setting the search to Conflict Fields are present. Depending on a few factors there's a good chance there won't be any conflicts. If there are though and it all seems to go wrong all you have to do is disable Dropbox syncing and delete the 1Password Dropbox data, restore the backup from each machine, the one you made just prior to doing anything and while there is still some issues to sort out, nothing is lost and your vault isn't corrupted.

I'm hoping you'll be reporting back here with success but if for whatever reason you aren't we're here to help.

• dickbrannin
    dickbrannin
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to be so dense I am attempting to see any Conflict Fields. Where do I enter the keyboard shortcut, in what app, etc. Also, do you need to hold down all of the keys in the shortcut at the same time or is there an order to how you enter the keys strokes.

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

@dickbrannin: "... Also, do you need to hold down all of the keys in the shortcut at the same time..."

Yes, at the same time ... Control, Option, Command, and " F "
    The Search input form will appear at the top of the list of items. Choose "Conflicted fields" all the way at the bottom of the popup menu, and then toggle the "are / are not" operator for items to be "present"

If there are any conflicted fields in an item, you have to enter Edit mode to see them.

HTH

• dickbrannin
    dickbrannin
    Community Member
    Options

Got it and it looks like no problem. Thanks so much!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dickbrannin‌ Glad to hear everything seems good. If you have any issues in the future you know where to come :smile:

This discussion has been closed.