Accidentally deleting items in list

Options
incorvia
incorvia
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

I can't tell you the number of items I've accidentally deleted logins in 1Password. At first I thought it was a ghost (or a bug).. but when I looked into it I realized it was a workflow issue and I believe it's potentially such a common workflow that I thought I'd share it in the hopes that 1Password will fix what I now again believe is an oversight / bug.

In 1Password I will often perform the following steps:

1. Search for items in my list. Let's say for example I search for "Finance"
  2. Realize that my search was wrong and hit "Command-Delete" in an effort to clear all text in the search box.

Poof you just deleted the first login in your list!

The problem here is that "Command-Delete" is a very legitimate and oft used key command on a mac. It delete's all the text on the current line in a text field. It also is the command for deleting an item. Now this by itself wouldn't be a problem but 1Password automatically selects the first item in the list when you search. So when you issue this command it not only deletes the text in the search field but it also deletes the first item in the list.

Even if 1Password didn't auto-select the first password.. if you select an item in the list.. and then re-select the search box.. the item you selected remains selected as far the "Command-Delete" command is concerned. This is another way that you can delete items.

I'd be surprised if I was the first person to realize this. I hope that 1Password can find a way to both not auto-select items when you search but also to properly unselect an item when you focus back on the search. That way mac users who like to use their macs the way they are intended won't be punished with mysteriously deleting logins.

Thanks.

Comments

• Jasper
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @incorvia,

Thanks for reporting this! We have this filed in our bug tracker, and we'll get it fixed in a future update.

ref: OPM-2112

This discussion has been closed.