iCloud sync unavailable in web store version of 1Password 5

Options
bsholbrook
bsholbrook
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

It doesn't matter how agile bits attempts to explain the situation it is simply unbelievable/unacceptable that they would choose not to give existing customers access to iCloud while they clearly support it in new app store purchases. I'm completely dumbfounded and angered that they not only considered this approach but are attempting to justify and support it.

While I think they make some great products this poor decision has me considering rather I want to continue as a customer. I'm so completely and utterly angered I just can't believe it! I relate feelings I have in this decision to those I have towards currentc / MCX and the the vendors supporting it. There is simply no way of justifying that this is a customer focused decision and I'm clearly not in support of companies that take that approach.

I strongly hope others will express their disgust with the decision not to include iCloud sync in 1password web version.

Comments

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

I assume you have seen the top post in this forum ?:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/30446/icloud-changes-in-the-website-version-of-1password-5

In particular this bit:

"1Password 5 switched to Apple's new iCloud technology, CloudKit, which is only available on OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, and limited to Mac App Store apps only. After this change we were no longer able to offer iCloud syncing in the Webstore version of 1Password".

I think your anger is misplaced.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for chiming in here, @mikebore.

@bsholbrook‌ As @mikebore‌ mentioned it wasn't a choice we made, Apple doesn't allow us to use CloudKit in non-MAS applications. Only applications purchased from them can use it.

• GaryBaalman
    GaryBaalman
    Community Member
    Options

I share bsholbrooks outrage and frustration over this issue. It's simple:

• I have been a paying Agilebits customer since 2011
    • I used iCloud sync very happily in version 4
    • I can no longer use all the features of the product I've been funding without paying an additional $35 to Agilebits

This isn't that big a problem for you to solve. You already have a web form to recover licenses; allow a user request an App Store download code instead, and make the web download free for users with existing licenses. Did this solution not occur to Agilebits, or were you just hoping to get additional revenue from existing customers who really want iCloud sync?

• Ben
    Options

allow a user request an App Store download code instead

Apple only gives us a very limited number of download codes ("promo codes"). They don't give us nearly enough to accommodate everyone (not even a fraction). We've tried to see if we can buy more codes from them, and they will not allow us to do so.

The problem we cannot solve is that we do not own or operate the App Store or iCloud. We have no way of making Apple do something they don't want to do (give our web store customers access to iCloud sync, or allow them to transition to the Mac App Store).

This discussion has been closed.