1P opening w/o requiring a password

Options
BikerBob
BikerBob
Community Member

I am running 1P 4.5.2 on my iMac, 2009, running OS 10.10

After I open 1P, use it, then quit it using Quit 1P under 1P in the menubar, when I then go to 1P in the dock and click on it again, it opens immediately w/o requiring a password.

After I quit 1P, I have double checked to see that I have indeed quit it by using the command/tab method to determine which apps are running. 1P does not show as running.

I not too long ago had the problem wherein when I launched 1P from the dock, I got an alert noting that an incorrect version of 1P had been launched from /Volumes/Clone/Applications/1Password.app/contents/Library/LoginItems. I fixed that with advice received here to go to Sys Prefs/Spotlight and exclude the clone from Spotlight.

I offer this latter fact just in case their may be some tie-in between that problem and 1P suddenly not requiring a password before it opens.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BikerBob‌

1Password has a companion app called 1Password mini. 1Password mini sits in your menu bar and it's actually 1Password mini that communicates with any of our browser extensions that you might be using.

This is important because there are several timers whereby you aren't requested to unlock your vault again. All of these can be found in the Security tab of 1Password's preferences. Now you can alter these and you can even stop 1Password mini altogether in the General tab of the same preferences. The only trouble is 1Password mini is required to use the browser extensions I mentioned above.

Does that help explain the behaviour you're seeing and how do you find the settings, could they be adjusted to fit your preferences?

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

I'll change those settings and report back. Thank you for responding.

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I see now what I was missing. I have set the "timers" to lock after 5 minutes and if I want to lock it immediately, rather than quit 1P, I will use the keyboard combo to lock it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BikerBob‌

It sounds like you've found a system that fits in with how you work. I hope 1Password continues to work for you :smile:

This discussion has been closed.