Upgrading from 1Password 3 to 1Password 5 via the Mac App Store

Options
zumzool
zumzool
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

Yes, this is a nightmare I wish I didn't have to deal with. I love the product but this user experience in licensing is quite awful.

I bought version 3 from he app store.

nightmare 1: app store update me to trial version of v5 without sufficient notice that i'd need to pay an upgrade fee(I usually just click the update button). That's just wrong. I understand you need to make money from these upgrades but there needs to be more transparency. So fine, I'll upgrade but how?

nightmare 2: Trying to upgrade: I read your announcement about the trial expired says that I have no license because I bought in the app store, BUT checking my trial v5 under About 1password shows it's an agile Web Store version (shouldn't i have the app store version?). So now I'm confused. How do I retain my info in the trial version? Do I buy it from the Agile site or the Apple App store.

nightmare 3: Plus, I purchased V3... so am I not entitled to an upgrade price? well, the app store says $35 and a new license from the agile site is $35... sooooo, I can't pay for an upgrade version on the Agile site because they have no license or email address on file. And the app store doesn't allow it.

Then I have to register to a discussion group just to ask the question.... what a clusterf****

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @zumzool,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with 1Password lately, and I'll do what I can to get things straightened out here.

nightmare 1: app store update me to trial version of v5 without sufficient notice that i'd need to pay an upgrade fee(I usually just click the update button).

I'm not quite sure what happened here. The Mac App Store does not allow for trials - the only way to get a trial version of 1Password is to download it directly from our website. If you're seeing that your version of 1Password 5 is indeed from the AgileBits webstore, then that makes a bit more sense. Let's get you transferred over to the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5.

How do I retain my info in the trial version? Do I buy it from the Agile site or the Apple App store.

Since you originally purchased from the Mac App Store, you should be able to download the version 5 update from there as well. Look for it in the 'Purchases' tab if it's not available in 'Updates'.

Once you have the Mac App Store version downloaded, please follow this guide: Migrate to the Mac App Store version

Then I have to register to a discussion group just to ask the question....

I do apologize for the frustration here. The reason we're requesting that users post their questions in the forums is that any answer posted here has the potential to help a multitude of users. We prioritize our social support when we're busy because we want to be able to help users as quickly as possible, and the forums allow us to do so much more efficiently. While we love chatting with our users via email, you're likely to get a much quicker response by checking the forums first! :)

This discussion has been closed.