1Password has completely disappeared from my Mac and I cannot find my license

Options
Taylor Wallace
Taylor Wallace
Community Member

1Password has been asking me to update for a few days now. I went to update yesterday, assumed everything went smoothly, and when I went to open it on my Mac, it says it cannot open 1Password 5 because the file is damaged or incomplete. I've tried to look for my license, but for some reason typing in my email does not return it. There is also no history of me having purchased through the Mac app store, despite having paid for it and used it for the last 8 months. THIS IS INSANE! I was literally using it yesterday and now I cannot log into anything. PLEASE HELP.

Comments

• Taylor Wallace
    Taylor Wallace
    Community Member
    Options

This same thing has happened to me but for my Mac app. I have the 1Password5 installer on my machine (how would I have got it, if not via the app store) 1Password has been asking me to update for days, and when I finally did, it's like all record of me every having purchased it disappeared. I bought 1Password for Mac in April. Apple has no record of my purchase and is asking me to buy it again, and when I try to get my license from agile bits website, it returns nothing. AND YOU HAVE NO SUPPORT. This is insane.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Taylor Wallace

Do you have a receipt?

• Taylor Wallace
    Taylor Wallace
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff‌ I con't login to online banking without 1password. I have the corrupted installer on my machine and updates from months ago.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Taylor Wallace

Even the trial version will continue to allow you to login to websites after the trial has expired. If you're having problems doing that what we'll do is split this conversation off so we can work on those issues that are separate from the conversation happening here.

I'm going to go ahead and do that now. If you could please let me know what is preventing you from logging in we can work on that with you.

Thanks.

• Taylor Wallace
    Taylor Wallace
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff‌ I had started using 1Password in March when the iOS app was $17 and the mac app was free. I have updated successfully many times, I was never notified that was using a trial or asked to upgrade. I successfully upgraded from 1password4 to 1password5, and only the most recent update forced the app to be corrupt. THIS IS ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. I was forced to then go and buy the app to get into any of my accounts WITH NO NOTIFICATION FROM 1PASSWORD EVER THAT I NEEDED TO UPGRADE OR PAY. This is insane.

• Ben
    Options

and the mac app was free.

The Mac application has never been "free." We've always offered a free trial, but it wasn't free.

The most common scenarios we've found are:

• Folks did actually purchase a license but because 1P4 didn't nag much they never entered their license, and need to do so
    • Folks assume (because v4 didn't nag much) that they had purchased, but they have not actually done so

I was never notified that was using a trial or asked to upgrade. I successfully upgraded from 1password4 to 1password5, and only the most recent update forced the app to be corrupt. THIS IS ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. I was forced to then go and buy the app to get into any of my accounts WITH NO NOTIFICATION FROM 1PASSWORD EVER THAT I NEEDED TO UPGRADE OR PAY. This is insane.

I'm sorry that 1Password 4 was not more vocal about its unlicensed status, but the only thing 'insane' about that is that folks have been allowed to use the product for free for quite some time without being nagged (which was never the intention).

That said, there shouldn't have been any "corruption." It sounds like your specific issue has been fixed but if anyone else is experiencing any sort of corruption and reading here, we'd be happy to help.

This discussion has been closed.