How can i assign categories to existing records?

Options
VanDee
VanDee
Community Member

I have quite a few and cant work it out. Thanks!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Do you mean you want to move items between categories? If so, you can't currently do that I'm afraid. That's because the default fields in each category are quite different.

If I've misunderstood the question I'm sorry and please post again!

Stephen

• VanDee
    VanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for both your replies. Ref. Categories, i now understand these are made up differently. Problem is that Many of my records go back to early 1pw days when i do not think there were cats yet...or at least i didnt know about them. What I am trying to do is organise my entries better. Would you advise me to re-enter the records in the right catagory or should I do something else like tagging? Thank you.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

My personal view is that it's worth the work to have your items in the correct categories. Obviously that's most important for logins and identities (because those can auto-fill) but I like all my items to be in the proper categories.

I use tagging to find items quickly or to link, for example, a bank login with bank account details. I just feel it's good to get the categories right and then use tagging for whatever else you need...but that's only my view, of course!

Stephen

• VanDee
    VanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, thats clear now and I share your view. Just need to get on with it now... Thank you for your help.

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad @Stephen_C could help. I see it similarly - I still have some old software licenses which are login item which I am converting by recreating them one by one. Lots of work but for me quite worth it.

This discussion has been closed.