1PW on iMac now 5 but can I install on MB Air without 2nd licence?

Options
VanDee
VanDee
Community Member

Can I use the same licence for a second ( same and synched vault) on the MB Air? If so, how? Thanks for any guidance!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If you bought from the Mac App Store you can use 1P on any other Mac which uses the same user ID.

If you bought direct from AgileBits you can use 1P on any Mac you own. This page includes the following:

Our software is licensed per person and per platform, not per device.

Stephen

• VanDee
    VanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Great... I am assuming and will try to synch the MB Air over wifi much iOS devices but if there is anything to know, grateful if you could also fire that my way. The iOS synchs are working really well now!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Just be aware you can't use wifi sync to sync Mac to Mac. There's plenty more useful information in the 1P5 user manual and in the 1P5 knowledgebase.

Stephen

• VanDee
    VanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Ok... Clearly not possible as iOS de ice. I have setup the keychain file on the imac as the file to synch with... That works, but if i am travelling I guess I won't have acess, so now the questions is:
    1) is this the right way to do this and
    2) willthis cause conflicts if both machibes are accessing the file simultaneously?
    Thank you.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

willthis cause conflicts if both machibes are accessing the file simultaneously?

The wife and I use the keychain at the same time and experienced no errors. I have even been using it and saw a new entry pop into 1Password after she added it with no issues.

There is always Dropbox / iCloud syncing if your interested ? Syncing your data

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi guys,

@Stephen_C‌ , @thightower‌ thanks for your help :+1:

@VanDee‌, If you modify your data while you are not connected to the internet 1Password will write to the agilekeychain file that it is syncing with. As soon as you have internet access Dropbox will do its magic and update those changes to all your devices. If you happened to modify the same item on other device while your fist device was offline, the item with the last modified date will win.

Hope that this makes is clearer. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you :wink:

Cheers!

• VanDee
    VanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Rad. Appreciate you chiming in. In fact we are just in the process of moving off cloud based systems including dropbox for sensitive information especially now that local synch over wifi etc is more feasible... Though between macs not as easy as the approach you suggest over dropbox. Thanks again for your help.

• VanDee
    VanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Thightower, thanks... If that works for you guys, I will make sure were backed up doubly and give it a try. Be good if it indeed works. Thanks for sharing!

• Hi @VanDee,

On behalf of Rad and Thightower, you're welcome.

Note that while you can't do Wi-Fi sync between Macs at the moment, you can use your iOS device as the middle man and switch between Macs to sync with, it's more manual but it should work. Basically, you tell 1Password on the iOS device to change Wi-Fi sync via Settings > Sync > Sync Service, and tap on Change Wi-Fi to select the different Mac to sync with. When you're done syncing with that specific Mac, you can repeat the process to sync with the different Mac.

if you need any further assistance, don't hesitate to let us know.

• VanDee
    VanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Aha, yes, well we might need to do that. I switched off the iMac and had quit 1Password on the MBAir only to find that when I started 1PW again that all the data was there. However, I did not find a local keychain file.... How did it retain the information? Where is the data kept on the MBAir? Thanks for the useful comments, I am beginning to see how to get this set up.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @VanDee‌

In 1Password 3 your vault was the agilekeychain and moving it into Dropbox was how you would sync across multiple devices. As of 1Password 4 though the agilekeychain is used as a sync repository only, one that can be removed or damaged and not interfere with using 1Password on your machine or device. We manage this because there is a local copy of your vault stored in an encrypted sqlite database file, the precise location being dependent on whether you purchased 1Password directly from our store or from Apple's MAS.

What 1Password will do though is if it finds the sync data isn't accessible when you unlock your vault it will complain as it assumes constant availability which the other cloud services do by having a local copy that they sync.

Does that help?

• VanDee
    VanDee
    Community Member
    Options

I think so, thanks. Need to think this through. I wonder why Agile has not covered this as part of completimg their excellent wifi solution. Must be something more than an oversight or lack of resources...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @VanDee,

I'm not quite sure I understand your question here - what are we missing in the Wi-Fi solution?

• VanDee
    VanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, perhaps I confused my point what I was trying to say is that I expect there is a reason 1pw does not synch over wifi directly between two mac computers and a 3rd party software is needed. I really like this latest version... The only bit where I now remain stuck in my quest to synch it all outside the cloud but over the air is this inter mac wifi thing. Nothing more and no critisism intended. Whatever you produce.... Well always want more ... I am going to try the chrome synch software to synch two 1pw files acros the macs as the singlle shared file option does not really seem to work. Thank you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

HI @VanDee‌

I know Mac to Mac syncing via Wi-Fi is something our users would like to see so you're not alone on that. I'll add your vote to the improvement request.

ref: OPM-2091

This discussion has been closed.