I have bought both iOS and Mac licenses but can't get PRO to work

Options
jillybean10
jillybean10
Community Member

Hi, I hope I am not too redundant in asking this question... I have proof of buying both 1Password for mac and iOS in the Apple store. I bought 1Password4 and have upgraded to 5, but can't get the restore purchases feature to work. So I have lost my ability to store routers, etc. How do I prove to you guys that I have bought both and should be allowed the Pro features without an email address? I believe part of the problem is that I had to change my Apple login identities because of being hacked. Or my email address isn't matching up. Either way, could I get some suggestions for this dilemma? I apologize for not being able to read all the other posts.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The difficulty for AgileBits is that the company has no access to Apple records (which will show your purchase of 1P4 for iOS, which in turn entitles you to use the Pro features of 1P5 for iOS). It does sound to me as though the problem is related to the changed Apple ID—because all your previous purchases will be linked to the old ID. I'm afraid that's something you're going to need to contact Apple about. I imagine the problem may not be limited to 1Password (if you bought apps under your old ID which you need to upgrade in the future, for example).

Stephen

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The change of AppleID is the problem. You do need to use the same AppleID to get the free upgrade to the Pro features.

This is an Apple issue, and I don't think AgileBits can help. I don't know if Apple have a solution to this kind of problem (I expect they do, but will make you go through a lot of hoops to solve it), but you need to contact them.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jillybean10‌

Both Stephen_C and danco are correct, beyond submitting our applications to their relevant stores we have zero control over the licensing aspect - we're not even supplied any details of our customers beyond knowing how many purchased. That restricts us to generalised advice about contacting Apple in many situations.

When you say you changed your Apple identity did you create a brand new Apple ID? If you did that would have effectively cut you off from all purchases made on the old one regardless of the company that developed the software. I suspect your two options would be

1. Contact Apple and explain the situation. Work to recover the old address and merge the purchases.
    2. Resign yourself to having lost any purchases made on the old Apple ID.

What you might find is that some programs purchased on the old ID still seem to be working. However what you will likely find is if you were to delete them you couldn't re-download them or download any updates as the IDs don't match. Depending on how many purchases you made on the old one 1. seems to really be your best (and only) option.

It's sucky and I'm sorry you're having to go through this. May I ask, how did you lose your first ID?

• jillybean10
    jillybean10
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all your help and quick response! I really appreciate it!
    I guess now I have to admit that the devil is in the details and when I went back and looked at my purchases from iTunes, I see that I bought versions: 1Password, v3.9.4 (4+) Agilebits Inc. App $49.99 and the iOS 1Password Pro, v3.6.5 (4+) Agilebits Inc. App $14.99. Therefore I don't qualify for the upgrade and need to purchase the Pro features. Sort of a bummer, but I understand. I will say it is funny that on April 3, 2012 I wrote AgileBits and got a response regarding my concern for spending more money for upgrades. I have enclosed the emails below:
    Nevertheless, I will likely buy the upgrade.
    Thanks again,
    Julia

Hello Julia,

Anyone who purchases 1Password 3.9.x, will receive a free upgrade to 1Password 4. We used to have that comment on our Mac App Store page, but it must have been removed.

Regardless, we do make the statement on our support website:

http://support.agilebits.com/kb/1password-39-for-mac-from-mac-app-store/mac-app-store-faq

We mention it in the 1st and 3rd FAQ. :)

I hope this helps you pull the trigger now. If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Cheers!

Brandt

--
    Brandt Swindell
    AgileBits Customer Care
    http://agilebits.com/support
    http://twitter.com/1Password

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012, jillybean10@me.com wrote:
    Hi,

I am very interested in 1Password and would love to have it on all my computers; however, I couldn't help but notice you are on version 3.9.4 and I noticed that for minor upgrades there is no charge, but going from 3.9.4 to 4.0 would cost.

This is a silly question, but I am worried that if I buy 1Password right now for $50, I will have to turn around and pay for the upgrade to version 4.0. Would that be the case? If it is, I think I should just wait for version 4.0 to come out?

Thanks so much!!

Julia

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jillybean10‌

I'll respond to the two different platforms separately.

iOS

Users moving from the old version 3 to 1Password 4 did have to pay. While we removed 1Password for iPhone from the iTunes store it is still possible to download the old one so users not wishing to change weren't forced off of their legitimate purchase. Hopefully the lower price of the iOS version of 1Password didn't make this too unpalatable.

OS X (MAS)

Since we first introduced 1Password for Mac in Apple's Mac App Store we haven't charged for any updates to it. Now at some point in the future we may do what we did with the iTunes store, whereby we stop selling the current one and instead offer a new major revision which users will need to purchase. We haven't reached that major version yet.

This still leaves the position you're in at the moment.

What is the current state of your two Apple IDs? Have you given up any hope of the old one or are you trying to get Apple to assist?

Do you still have the old receipts from Apple detailing both of these purchases and do you still have access to the email address that your old Apple ID was associated with?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Apple won't let you merge separate Apple IDs for the purpose of merging software purchases. I've tried to get that to happen when confusion between separate Apple IDs caused my wife to buy some things under one of hers and some other things with another one, even though she didn't even know she had two IDs in the first place. Apple would not merge the two accounts, and we ended up making some double purchases to get things back in order. Luckily it didn't involve very many dollars, but it was (and is) annoying, to say the least.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have heard Apple are getting stricter about this sort of thing sadly. There was blog post or something similar recently warning people of the disadvantages of two factor authentication and Apple's unwillingness to help. The trouble is how do you manage to be helpful for those that genuinely need help and those trying to gain access to something they shouldn't? It's tough.

@jillybean10‌ I'm message you here on the forums.

This discussion has been closed.