Clipboard won't clear

Options
LdyPandora
LdyPandora
Community Member

I just downloaded two apps from Contrast called Email+ and Group Text+. I noticed immediately that the clipboard section showed one of my passwords. I hadn't been logged in to 1Password for a long time and here another app accessed the clipboard and it had not cleared. What if I had accidentally sent a group text or email and that had been included. I realize there was no identifying information that I could see, but I can't be sure. Why didn't my clipboard clear? Seriously concerned about this.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

What is your setting under 1P Settings > Security Clear Clipboard?

Stephen

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

Are you using the standard clipboard or a clipboard manager such as CopyPaste Pro? I have used the latter and have found that 1PW does NOT clear copied passwords from CopyPaste Pro. This may be the case for some other clipboard managers also. I have switched to using the clipboard manager built into LaunchBar. It plays much nicer with 1PW in this respect.

Rick

• LdyPandora
    LdyPandora
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen,
    The security setting was at 3 minutes to clear, and it did not clear even after that. It had been quite a while since I had originally copied the password. I changed the setting to 90 seconds and it did not show up in the Contrast apps.

• LdyPandora
    LdyPandora
    Community Member
    Options

Rick,
    I am using the standard clipboard feature within 1Password and the original clipboard that is in the system on the iPad Air 2. No other apps to perform this function have been installed. Thanks though, I appreciate the response.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @LdyPandora‌

iOS apps are heavily sandboxed, limiting them in lots of ways in contrast to your typical OS X application. To allow 1Password to clear the clipboard it does have to remain in the background on your iOS device. So if you shut it down completely via iOS's multitasking feature then it simply can't follow through with clearing the clipboard.

I can see an area here for improvement to ensure that when this is activated from within Settings that we make the user explicitly aware that the program must remain open in the background for this to work.

Could this cover the situation you found yourself in?

• LdyPandora
    LdyPandora
    Community Member
    Options

Yes that could be what happened. The help I have received here and on Twitter and from your support team has been amazing. I appreciate it very much! Have wonderful holidays!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LdyPandora‌ We don't always manage to achieve the level of support that we want but we do try. I'm glad you've found it amazing and I know a lot of people will love to hear that you feel that way :smile: and a Happy Holidays to you as well!

This discussion has been closed.