Family Sharing of iOS version

Options
fhb2031
fhb2031
Community Member

I've recently purchased an iPod for my 11 year old son, and have taken advantage of Apple's (glitchy) new feature for family sharing. I'm able to download over apps I've already purchased onto his iPod, however the "GET" icon for 1Password is grayed out. I'm not sure if this is an Apple issue, or an AgileBits issue. I'd appreciate any advice, because I'd like to teach him how to begin to properly protect his passwords!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Are you referring to the in-app purchase to enable to the pro features in 1P5 for iOS? If so, I'm afraid Apple doesn't extend family sharing to in-app purchases.

Stephen

• Ben
    Options

Hi @fhb2031‌

Apple's Family Sharing works for the apps themselves (including 1Password) but does not, as @Stephen_C mentioned, extend to in-app purchases such as 1Password's Pro features.

If you'd like to access the Pro features from your son's Apple ID, you'd need to purchase them there as well.

Thanks.

• fhb2031
    fhb2031
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much for clarifying that. I love 1Password, so I'll be buying it for my son as well!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the support!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fhb2031
    fhb2031
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting, yes I'm running the latest iOS on my devices. What was the family sharing deal on iOS -- thought it just wasn't possible...

• Ben
    Options

Family sharing works for apps, not for in-app purchases. Since 1Password uses an in-app purchase vs a separate app for the Pro features and the base app is free, it is essentially a moot point for 1Password.

• fhb2031
    fhb2031
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for that clarification. just wondering: does AgileBits pay a lower fee to Apple for in-app purchases, rather than for the purchase of an app (and is that why you've taken that approach)?

• Ben
    Options

I do not believe so. My understanding is that we pay the same fees regardless.

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

First, my 1PW software before my question: 1PW5 for Mac (5.3.1) and 1PW for iOS (5.4.1). I have three (3) Vaults on our Mac: Primary (my Vault), XYZ and Archive. I am running 1PW for iOS on my iPhone and, in 1PW for iOS Settings, I can select either Primary or XYZ. I cannot "see" or select Archive (not sure why) but this is not a problem. Our hardware: 1 MacBook, 1 iPhone, 1 iPad.

So, I see that Apple Family Sharing does not like in-app purchases but I am still not 100% certain if this prevents me from doing the following:

1) enable Family Sharing of 1PW for iOS using my Apple ID . . . I purchased 1PW for Mac and 1PW for iOS.
    2) share 1PW for iOS with my wife, who uses the iPad.
    3) download 1PW for iOS onto her iPad
    4) begin 1PW setup on her iPad by using the "Sync existing vault" option (see attachment) in such a manner that she has access to ONLY the XYZ Vault, which is her Vault with her passwords, etc.

I tried the "Sync existing vault" option but this operation pulled in all the Primary Vault items, not the XYZ items. I presume I could use the "Create new vault" option but this would appear to nullify the advantages of Syncing (over WiFi, in our case) back to our 1PW for Mac.

1PW.jpg 316.9K
  • Ben
    Options

Hi @jmb679,

The wrench in the works in your setup is WiFi sync. WiFi sync must sync the primary vault. It can also optionally sync any secondary vaults, but it must sync the primary one. To accomplish what you've described you'd need Dropbox sync:

https://support.1password.com/dropbox-introduction/

Family Sharing isn't really part of the picture. That only applies to sharing purchases, not data.

Thanks!

Ben

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

thanks, I will try Dropbox.

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

That works, thanks. One problem: Both iOS and Mac agree on the the count of all items (77) across categories (Logins, Credit Cards, etc.). But, 1PW for iOS on her iPad does not show the items in three categories: SSN, email and Bank Account. Therefore, she can only access 74 of 77 items.

• Ben
    Options

Correct, she would need to purchase the Pro features on her Apple ID in order to access those items.

https://support.1password.com/pro-features-faq/#what-are-the-pro-features-and-how-do-i-unlock-them-

This discussion has been closed.