Keyboard problem [iOS 8 Issue, we've filed a report with Apple]

Options
Pomk
Pomk
Community Member
edited January 2015 in iOS

iOS 8.1.2, iPAD 4

In some cases when I've try to reopen my 1password app after using other apps I have to type in my password. In those cases sometimes the right side of my keyboard doesn't work. I can't use the following letters and buttons: "O", "P", "L", "," , "." , "backslash", "return", "shift", ".,?123" button, and the keyboard closing button.
When I shutdown the app and restart it, the keyboard works very well again.
Is this familiar to someone?

BG,
Pomk

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This is an iOS bug for which AgileBits is trying to find a fix at the moment. The current solution is to quit then re-start 1P, as you've discovered.

Stephen

• dbruskin
    dbruskin
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue, however, closing and reopening doesn't solve the problem. Also, my keyboard on the iPAD app floats in the middle of the screen. From the last update it has rendered the app unusable. I hope this is solved immediately.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

closing and reopening doesn't solve the problem

Do you mean force closing and re-opening doesn't solve the problem? That usually solves it for most people—at least until the problem re-occurs. (By force closing I mean double-clicking on the home button then swiping up on the app. Sorry if you know that already.) Also if you're using the iPad in landscape orientation try using it in portrait orientation.

Stephen

• sirach39
    sirach39
    Community Member
    Options

I am also encountering this problem on iPad Air. The force quit advice seems to work. Note that in the portrait mode, I am getting the virtual keyboard above the field for entering the password, and not all the keys on that keyboard are visible. When the situation that is being described on this thread occurs, neither the portrait (for the reasons just mentioned) nor the landscape mode (not all keys on keyboard work) will function properly.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sirach39‌ I can only imagine how annoying it is but until it's resolved at least there is a workaround in the force quit suggestion that you're already aware of.

• ErtjeTheFreeze
    ErtjeTheFreeze
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Just to confirm that I have the same problem.

Greetings,
    Rene de Vries

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ErtjeTheFreeze,

Yes, it looks like you're having the same problem. As mentioned earlier, this appears to be an iOS 8 bug, and our developers have filed a bug report with Apple about it. We've heard of this happening in a few other apps as well. You should be able to solve it (at least temporarily) by force-quitting the 1Password app and reopening it, as described previously.

In case you're curious, there is some more information about this problem in this thread.

We're all hoping this is fixed soon!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

Trying to show my 86-year old mother-in-law how to use 1Password on her new iPad Air 2, and the right side of the keyboard is dead in 1Browser. The keyboard is fine in Safari and in Mail, but not in 1Browser. So I end the lesson, head home, hit the AgileBits forums, and find this thread.

You folks are not making my life any easier. (Yes, I understand that it is an Apple bug, but a guy's gotta vent.)

Thanks for the Force-Quit tip. I will try it out the next time I am giving my mother-in-law a lesson. But she has pretty much all she can handle just learning the basics of how to use her new toy. I really wish that I did not have to burden her with this sort of kludge.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem @benfdc, I'm glad you were able to find the Force-Quit tip here. And I certainly understand the need to vent, this problem can be quite frustrating!

I really wish there was more we could do to help fix it. Our developers spent considerable time looking into this problem when we started hearing about it, and were able to determine it was a bug in iOS (they filed a bug with Apple). As you've noticed, it doesn't affect all apps, but we've noticed it happening in a few others. Hopefully it will be squashed soon! :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

Force-Quit worked. I'm hoping that the bug will be squashed before my mother-in-law runs in to it.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

There have been two updates to iOS 8 since this problem surfaced, maybe three. I'm wondering if Apple is working on it! It is aggravating, to say the least. When it happens to me, I get shut down while entering my master password. It may be my imagination, but it seems to happen to me somewhat less frequently than it once did.

And, in case it is a clue, I cannot ever remember being bitten while giving my master password from the iOS 1Password Safari extension.

• Hi guys,

@benfdc,

Force-Quit worked. I'm hoping that the bug will be squashed before my mother-in-law runs in to it.

Glad to hear that. We're really hoping Apple will fix it once and for more soon. I haven't seen any reports that "dead keys" is fixed in the latest iOS betas but the custom keyboard issues appears to be mostly resolved so far.

@hawkmoth:

I'm wondering if Apple is working on it! It is aggravating, to say the least.

So far, I'm seeing reports that the custom keyboard issues are improved or mostly resolved in the latest iOS 8.2 betas but nothing about dead keys yet. Hopefully, it'll be resolved in iOS 8.2.

And, in case it is a clue, I cannot ever remember being bitten while giving my master password from the iOS 1Password Safari extension.

That is an interesting clue. If Apple ask for more information, we'll share this info if it is related.

• metabren
    metabren
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT, I assume from the silence on this thread that this issue has been resolved. I am a 1Password customer too but I'm also having this issue in an app I have made. Are you able to please shed some light on what you did to fix this? Thanks in advance.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @metabren,

We didn't make any major changes specifically for this, it was mostly resolved on its own through several iOS updates. We made some minor changes but I don't think any of them were related to this. I'll ask the development team to share any info on this, one of us will follow up here.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @metabren,

I was able to confirm that we did not in fact change anything. So, I'm sorry we couldn't be of more use for you.

• metabren
    metabren
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT, thank you for following up on my request. Perhaps it will be as simple as submitting a new build. I hope so. Thanks again. Kudos to you and your team for a great product and great customer service! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@metabren: On behalf of MikeT, you are most welcome! Thanks for the kind words, and good luck with your own development efforts. Cheers! :)

• OmarKN
    OmarKN
    Community Member
    Options

Hi and good day,

As for me this bug hasn't been resolved. Some right-side letters, especially ENTER didn't work as of today, so I updated to iOS 8.4 for the iPad Air, but the problem persists.
    This happens after having closed iPassword, and all the other apps, no matter, has nothing to do with 1PW.
    w/
    with best regards,
    Omar KN
    Stockholm, Sweden

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OmarKN,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know you're still experiencing that issue with the keyboard. We haven't heard much about this in the last few months so we believe Apple definitely made improvements, but sounds like it may still be popping up occasionally for a few people. Unfortunately, since it's an iOS bug, I'm not sure what to suggest aside from force-quitting 1Password and restarting it (or doing the same for another app where the problem is happening), or possibly to restart the device (and it sounds like you may have already tried those things).

I'm sorry we don't have more information about that bug or why it hasn't been completely squashed yet! I really hope Apple is able to continue improving that, as it's a really frustrating issue.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

@OmarKN - This issue has disappeared for me with 1Password, but now afflicts me in exactly the same way with an iOS collaboration client. It definitely is not a 1Password-only issue. I've been told that Apple says it's fixed in iOS 9, but that means force quitting important applications to regain control for another few months.

It is completely mysterious to me why I'm NOT being afflicted with 1Password anymore, but I gather it has always be trouble for only some users.

• OmarKN
    OmarKN
    Community Member
    Options

Hi and good day,
    I have to relativize this bug-report:
    With another (external) keyboard, which is of the same brand & make (Linocell, no. 94059) everything is working fine!
    So this keyboard has a problem! Hope I still have the receipt !
    /
    with best regards,
    Omar KN
    Stockholm, Sweden

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OmarKN: Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that in your case at least there is a clear solution, and I hope that you're able to get that replacement with minimal hassle. Cheers! :)

• wildekat13
    wildekat13
    Community Member
    Options

I am still having this issue. iPad Air IOS8.4.1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wildekat13: Likewise. It isn't clear if this is still a problem in iOS 9, but here's hoping it's finally fixed for us come Wednesday! This keyboard bug is the bane of my existence in Slack for iOS... :(

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

This keyboard bug is the bane of my existence in Slack for iOS...

Me too with Slack for iOS! But it's completely disappeared for me for master password entry in 1Password. I have no idea why.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Me too with Slack for iOS!

@wildekat13: I don't know whether to laugh or cry!! :lol: :cry:

But it's completely disappeared for me for master password entry in 1Password. I have no idea why.

Oddly enough, I have never encountered this during Master Password entry, though it's happened to me editing items. :crazy:

• LMc
    LMc
    Community Member
    Options

I just experienced the missing keyboard with the Good app, when my password expired and had to be immediately reset. My iPaid air 2 did not recognize the external keyboard, and when I turned it off, the screen keyboard could not be summoned. Argh. In any case, I wanted to thank you for this thread...although in hindsight the solution seems obvious, in the moment It was not.

• LMc
    LMc
    Community Member
    Options

PS I am using ios 9.1, for those of you keeping score...so the bug has not been completely fixed.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, @LMc. Sorry to hear this one is still lingering.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.