Mac rebuild [Resolved]

mdurbs
mdurbs
Community Member
edited January 2015 in Mac

i just had to rebuild my Mac Pro and although I don;t have a specific backup of 1Password I do have a full machine backup from Time Machine. Is there an article anyone can point me to, to do a restore of a file to recover my lost 1Password Database.

Help Appreciated. I have the latest version of 1P.

Mark D

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

Hi @mdurbs, welcome to the forums! :)

1Password for Mac automatically makes backups, so as long as Time Machine has a copy of your 1Password backups, it should be pretty easy to restore that data. For my steps below, I'll assume you're using 1Password 4 or 5 for Mac, but please let me know if you're using version 3 instead.

The location of your 1Password backups depends on whether you're using the web store version or the Mac App Store version:

If you use the web store version, the location for 1Password backup files is:
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups

If you use the Mac App Store version, the location for 1Password backup files is:
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups

Keep in mind the '~' indicates your Mac user folder. Also, if the Library folder in your Mac user folder was hidden at the time of the Time Machine backup, it'll be a little tricker to find the Backups folder (let me know if you need help with that and I can give you some more steps).

Basically, you should be able to enter Time Machine, go back to the date of your full Mac backup, and navigate to one of the above locations to find your 1Password backup files. Those files will have long names that start with 1Password and end with .1p4_zip. You will want to restore one or more of those backup files, or the entire Backups folder.

If you haven't setup 1Password on your rebuilt Mac yet, you'll have the option to restore from a backup when you open it and go through the brief setup procedure. If you already setup 1Password with a new/empty vault, you can open the 1Password app and go to File > Restore (if you don't see the backup files you restored from Time Machine, click Find Backup, then select a backup file).

Some of my steps above assume you're familiar with using/navigating Time Machine, but I'll be more than happy to give you more specific steps if you need them. Just let me know. Thanks!

• mdurbs
    mdurbs
    Community Member

Drew, appreciate the response. Not sure if I am being thick, I am fairly IT literate but I can;t get the 1Password application to recognise my Zip files as valid recoverable items despite being able to find them in the backup I have.

Basically I copied the backup folder to my desktop for ease. it essentially has about 24 Zip files in it.
    When I open 1Password and select preferences and go to restore from backup I browse to the desktop backups folder but all the zipps are greyed out so I cant do a restore. Am I missing something.

as a test I also created a new blank 1Pass store and did a few backups I note the new naming conventions of those backups seems different to the ones I have from my previous built machine:
    Old Backup name is
    1Password 2014-02-01 093430 (479 items).agilekeychain_zip
    New backup files are:
    1Password 2014-12-31 17_43_01 (1 profiles, 0 items, 0 folders, 0 attachments).1p4_zip

Am I missing something?
    Appreciate the help.

Happy New Year

Mark

• Hi @mdurbs,

The .agilekeychain_zip backup files are from 1Password 3, and are not the same backup/restore format used by 1Password 5.

Please try this instead:

Take the 1Password 2014-02-01 093430 (479 items).agilekeychain_zip file, and drag it to your desktop. Rename it to 1Password.agilekeychain.zip. Double click it to unzip it and you will now have 1Password.agilekeychain.

You'll be able to select the 1Password.agilekeychain package when setting up 1Password 5.

Let us know if that helps. :)

• mdurbs
    mdurbs
    Community Member

You the man. Thanks Agile Support nice job.

• mdurbs
    mdurbs
    Community Member

Ok quick follow up. I now have 2 vaults, the empty one I created trying to resolve the issue and the secondary one that I now see with all my passwords in,

How do I delete the primary and make the restored copy the primary, or switch the restored copy to be the primary and delete the secondary.

Thanks
    Mark

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Hi Mark ( @mdurbs ),

I'm glad to hear that Jasper was able to help you get your data back into 1Password. Now primary and secondary vaults are designed a little bit differently in 1Password, so it is not possible to delete a primary vault, or swap your secondary vault with your primary vault. If your currently empty primary vault has the same Master Password as you use for your database, you can simply select all the items in your secondary vault, right click on the list and select Share > Primary (vault) from the menu. This will move all your items into your primary vault and you can then delete your secondary vault.

If the Master Password of your primary vault is not the one you wish to use for your database, please let me know and we'll give you some alternate instructions.

• mdurbs
    mdurbs
    Community Member

yup worked. Thanks for all the support.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mdurbs,

I'm so glad to hear that you're all sorted out - thanks for letting us know!

Since this particular issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support+forum@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.