Restoring Data

Options
A884126
A884126
Community Member

Hi.

I sold my MBP and bought a new one. The issue I have regards my Time Machine backup which is corrupted. Also, I lost all 1Password backups I had.

Hopefully I still have the date from my iPad and iPhone. Also, I was looking for a way to get restore my data from one of my iOS devices. Unfortunately I cannot figure out.

I installed 1Password on my new MBP, turn on the Sync on iCloud from my iPhone 6 and my MBP. Also, when I open Password on my Mac I did not have the restore window and the iCloud option does not appear in the Preferences/Sync.

However, I am scared to launch a Sync between the devices with a risk to get all my data deleted on my iPhone.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @A884126‌

Just to say, one way or another we should be able to populate a fresh copy of 1Password for Mac from your iOS device. To be able to best assist you though we're going to need to know versions of iOS, OS X and 1Password 4 for all the devices.

I recommend detailing them one per line e.g.

1. MacBook Pro, Yosemite, 1Password 5 (MAS)
    2. iPhone 6, iOS 8, 1Password 5

and so on. Where you purchased 1Password for Mac will be important so it will help if we know if it is the Agile Web Store version (purchased from our web site) or Apple's Mac App Store (MAS). Once we have a better idea of the landscape we can suggest a sequence of steps that will get you sorted out. If you're unsure of anything please do hold off as given what you've described I'm extremely confident that we can sort you out (so no deleting 1Password from your iOS devices for example).

When you reply, if your post contains @littlebobbytables‌ in it I'll get pinged.

• A884126
    A884126
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry I should have of that. I have all the latest versions.

1. MacBook Pro / Yosemite 10.10.1 / 1Pasword 5.0.2 (502007) bought on Agile Web Store
    2. iPhone 6 / iOS 8.1.2 / 1Password 5.1.2

Hope it helps.

By the ways I succeeded to get back my 1Password 5 license for the Mac version by using AirDrop from my iPhone to my MBP.

Thanks again for your help.

• Hi @A884126‌,

Unfortunately iCloud Sync won't be available in this case as we had to remove iCloud Sync from 1Password for Mac 5.0 when sold outside of the Mac App Store due to a technical limitation. But that shouldn't slow us down much. We have 3 good options left:

1. Dropbox. You could sync your iPhone to Dropbox, then sync your Mac to the same Dropbox account.
    2. Wi-Fi Sync. You could enable Wi-Fi sync on the Mac, then connect the iPhone to it. All data should get pushed up to the Mac.
    3. Manual Backup/Restore. You can create a backup under Settings > Advanced on the iPhone, then use iTunes File Sharing to retrieve it off of the phone, then use this backup to restore the Mac.

I hope this helps. If you need help with any of these solutions, please let us know.

Rick

• A884126
    A884126
    Community Member
    Options

OK thanks I will give a try and let you know how it went.

I also have a license key from the Apple Store. I was not aware of this limitation. So maybe I will get the version from the Apple Store.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @A884126‌

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by a licence key from the Apple Store. Purchases of 1Password (MAS) are tied to your Apple ID and so there isn't a licence key. Instead the App Store simply checks your purchase history and if you've purchased 1Password from the App Store then it downloads. It also means we have no idea who our MAS users are as Apple don't supply any details.

Let us know how you get along though!

• A884126
    A884126
    Community Member
    Options

I mean that for some historical reasons I bought 1 Password from your web store but also from the Apple Store.
    However I installed your application as the one on the Apple Store was always late regarding the version number. But due to the iCloud topic I will uninstall your version to get the one from the Apple Store.
    I hope it clarifies.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@A884126‌

Okay, I understand better now. We try not to but there can be a little lag between the versions. Sometimes if the version number differs it might also be because a bug was only present in one version and only needed repaired in one version. If iCloud is important then yeah, you're best to go with the MAS version.

This discussion has been closed.