Changing Master Password on all devices

arhgerard
arhgerard
Community Member

I have an employee who had iPhone and iPad access to my 1Password. How do I change the master password so they no longer have access?

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2015

Hi @arhgerard‌

I'd be happy to help you with that, but please note in this situation simply changing your Master Password is not enough to secure your accounts. To best help you with this situation, could you please let me know:

• What platform(s) and versions you are using?
    • What sync method are you using (Dropbox, iCloud, etc)

Please let me know.

Thanks.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

This is where making a vault would come in handy. For future employees, you make a vault for them, this way you can just delete that vault.

https://blog.agilebits.com/2013/11/13/1password-tip-how-to-create-share-a-vault-with-family-or-coworkers-mac/

• Even then, the passwords that were contained within that vault need to be changed.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

True, but it would probably be not as many as the primary vault.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Also, sharing the same vault means that you can't keep any logins that only uou should have access to.

• arhgerard
    arhgerard
    Community Member

Thanks. Using iOS 8.1.2 and OS X 10.10.1

iCloud sync

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

If you're usinf iCloud sync, this means they have you Apple ID info also, if I am correct.

Me, I would disable iCloud sync, then sync to Dropbox (or back it up to itunes ) and then delete the iCloud back up. I'm not sure if this would work to be honest.

Also for Agilebits: this would be an idea for an "enterprises" 1Password app where the desktop version has something like a control panel or something. In the control panel, you can revoke 1Password access at a flip of a switch, delete, or do other stuff. Just an idea.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @arhgerard‌

Thanks for getting back to us with those details!

First of all, I'd just like to share this User Guide article with you: Revoking access to a shared vault. As has been mentioned above, changing your Master Password will not completely prevent your employee from accessing the data you have already granted them access to, so you may want to change the important passwords within the vault as well.

Here's what we'll do:

• Change your Master Password on 1Password
    • Allow time for this change to sync via iCloud to all your devices
    • Change your iCloud password.

Now we'll reset sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service, and tap Disable Sync.

• On the Mac, open 1Password for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync.

Please let me know how this process goes for you!

This discussion has been closed.