Filling login details on iOS App Store app?

cjbulow
cjbulow
Community Member

I've probably missed the glaringly obvious way (to everyone else) to do this but can anyone point me in the direction of the method to fill the login screen that popups for account(s) on the Apple App Store app? For reasons to complicated to go into I have 4 separate accounts (different countries) that I need to swap between and can't find anyway of auto-filling this screen. TIA.

Comments

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member

This is a modal pop-up and with no share-sheet access, so you cannot get to 1Password like you would in Safari. The only option I know of is to switch to the 1Password app and copy/paste between it and the App Store.

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

Yes, cut 'n paste was what I've been using; had missed the fact (& thus the implications of) that it's a modal dialogue. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cjbulow,

Somehow I seem to have collected multiple AppleIDs as well, so I understand your situation!

Filling data directly in apps is a bit of a different matter than filling data in on browsers. Prior to iOS 8, Apple did not allow apps to interact with each other at all, so 1Password was unable to fill details into an app.

In iOS 8, Apple introduced a great new feature called app extensions. These extensions can allow one app (like 1Password) to fill directly in other apps. You can read more about this in our blog post: Introducing the 1Password App Extension for iOS 8 apps. Developers will still need to add the extension into their app in order for this feature to be enabled though, so it might be an idea to share this blog post with the developers of your favourite apps to encourage them to make life easier for 1Password users such as yourself. There is already a pretty impressive list of apps that have added the 1Password extension - check it out: Apps that Love 1Password.

At this time, the App Store itself does not offer 1Password support, so we'll need to get a little bit creative. Usually, my advice for apps that have not yet added 1Password support is to open 1Password, copy your password and paste it into the app. However, Apple seems to love pop-ups, and switching away from the pop-up to access 1Password isn't always convenient. That's where Diceware passwords come in. Diceware is a technique for creating passwords made of multiple random words (instead of the random jumbles of characters created by our password generator.) A password made up of 4 or 5 random words is nice and secure ... it's also rather easy to remember and type, which is a bonus when dealing with those pop-up password fields. I use Diceware for my Master Password, my Dropbox password (just in case I need access to my data with none of my devices near) and my AppleIDs ... because it seems I have to type them frequently. You can read more about Diceware in this blog post: Towards Better Master Passwords.

I hope this answers your questions, but if you need any further clarification, we're here to help!

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

Hi Megan.

Thanks for such a full response. Diceware is a technique I was considering -- and as the situation is that the App Store doesn't currently support extensions, probbaly one I'll adopt for the moment. Appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cjbulow,

Always happy to help! Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

Actually... :)

As a follow-up, would it be possible to add Diceware to 1Password? I hate the "option" word (knowing how much pain it causes devs) but maybe it could be included as a choice on the password generator section?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cjbulow‌

Thanks a great suggestion! I'll add your vote to the issue in our internal tracker. (Personally, I'd love to see it there too!)

ref: OPI-1871

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

Cool; thanks.

• No behalf of Megan, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.