Yosemite and Mavericks

SunbeamRapier
SunbeamRapier
Community Member

I have just had to wipe my hard drive and reinstall the OS one one of my Macs after frequent application crashes in Yosemite. My other Mac still runs Yosemite. When I reinstall 1Password on Mavericks it says it cannot find the 1password information on iCloud, though it is there and in use by the Macbook running Yosemite. Does this mean I cannot run 1Password on my restored Mac running Mavericks?

Comments

• SunbeamRapier
    SunbeamRapier
    Community Member

ps: I did not make it clear but the network reinstall on the Mac desktop reverted to Mavericks and I am reluctant to upgrade to Yosemite because of all the problems this seems to create.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I think if you read the AgileBits iCloud FAQ you'll see why your move back to OS X 10.9 has effectively put iCloud sync out of reach for that machine.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SunbeamRapier‌

I hope that Stephen_C's post here has helped you out. I'm sorry that Yosemite has been misbehaving a bit for you. Unfortunately, due to the changes that Apple has made to iCloud between iOS 7/ OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and iOS 8/ OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), iCloud sync is not available for cross-OS syncing.

If you're more comfortable with remaining on Mavericks, please see our guide on how to switch to Dropbox sync.

Of course, if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

• SunbeamRapier
    SunbeamRapier
    Community Member

I have now upgraded to Yosemite on My Mac Pro and upgraded both Macs to the latest 10.10.2 version. Dropbox is not an option because it insists on installing in the old user directory which was renamed (and so no longer exists). Dropbox appear to provide only first level support for unpaid accounts so my support requests have just been ignored.

So now I have a different problem...

On the Mac Pro I could not enable sync via iCloud even though iCloud and iCloud Drive is now enabled. I always got the message that 1Password data could not be found in iCloud.

So I created a backup on my Macbook and transferred it to the Mac Pro and then used the "from backup" option. This worked, insofar as iPassword loads and all the data is available. It also automatically set itself to sync via iCloud. All well and good - except that this machine does not sync with any of the other devices (Macbook, iPad, iPhone). Also, in the iCloud sync preferences panel the Macbook says it is syncing the Primary Vault but the Mac Pro says it is syncing a file.

If I delete the iCloud sync and remove data from the Mac Pro and the set up iCloud sync again I still get the same sync to one password_data and the Mac Pro does not sync to any other device.

This is now a new installation under Yosemite 10.10.2 - iCloud appears to be running correctly - I can see all the files in my iCloud drive on both Macs. I note, however, that on both Macs under iCloud it says that iPassword Mini syncs data with iCloud - not 1password itself. Also, in iCloud Drive, there is no file for 1Password at all - on either Mac or on the Apple iCloud Drive website.

If I want to delete the backup version of iPassword from the Mac Pro and reinstall 1password to try setting up sync to iCloud Drive again what files do I need to delete?

And is this an appropriate way to resolve this issue?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@SunbeamRapier‌

Whats the issue with Dropbox ? It may be something I can help with. I am a moderator at the Dropbox forums as well as here and we (Dropbox Moderators) see things such as your issue very often in the forums. Dropbox calls us "Super Users".

It sounds as if you still have the configuration files saved in the previous install of Dropbox. Thats a rather simple fix, but its something most users never need or see. Its just you need to remove the configuration files so Dropbox will start clean and allow you setup from scratch specifying the folders etc. This almost always solves the issues. Sometimes issues arise when changing user folders. Its rare but has happened.

Follow the steps in this support document to "remove the application settings" in the advanced users section. If Dropbox is running make sure and quit the app before doing the steps.

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/41

The next time you run Dropbox it should open new and allow you to start clean as if its your first install.

ps. Most of the Moderators at the Dropbox forums are Mac users. I would guess 90%. So they tend to help quickly. https://www.dropboxforum.com

Feel free to stop by and we can try and get you squared away.

• Hi @SunbeamRapier,

Do you want to keep using iCloud or let @thightower help you resolve the issue with Dropbox and switch over to Dropbox?

Dropbox might be easier to resolve since we have extra option like the website Dropbox.com to see if sync is working. iCloud doesn't have a black box for us to investigate with.

Let us know what you'd like to do and we'll go to the next step.

This discussion has been closed.