Setting up two-factor authentication with Dropbox; possible loop?

Options
aaronbushnell
aaronbushnell
Community Member

Someone commented on the blog post today and had a great question that I wanted some clarification on:

If I setup two-factor authentication for Dropbox (my preferred syncing solution), will I ever run into an issue where I need to setup 1Password on a new device, but can't because I need to get my Dropbox two-factor, temporary password (now stored in 1Password)?

What if I get a new computer and need to get my 1Password data from Dropbox? Now I have to download Dropbox and sign in. But I can't because my 2FA password is in 1Password.

Just want to make sure I have all of this sorted through before I commit!

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @aaronbushnell‌

We would only recommend a setup like this if you have multiple 1Password enabled devices, such that one of your other devices could be used to generate the OTP in a situation like the one you describe.

Thanks!

• aaronbushnell
    aaronbushnell
    Community Member
    Options

Good to know! I'll keep the Dropbox backup codes handy, too, in case this situation ever does happen.

• alanshutko
    alanshutko
    Community Member
    Options

When I set things up, it also asked for a backup phone number it could send an SMS to. That would resolve this issue.

• aaronbushnell
    aaronbushnell
    Community Member
    Options

Ah. Thanks, @alanshutko! That + backup codes should be well more than enough to give me peace of mind.

• Good advice, thanks @alanshutko‌ !

This discussion has been closed.