TOTP for Dropbox doesn't match 'reality'

Options
leesweet
leesweet
Community Member

So, this may be a bug or side-effect of something...... I have TOTP for Dropbox set up in my Windows beta (now released, so, I'm talking about it) version of 1P4 (538) and the TOTP works perfectly (agrees with the Google auth app).

The TOTP data showing in the new iOS version of what I assume should be the same output is off. The timing may be the same (off by a second or two?) but the codes are never correct.

I assume the same setup data for the record for Dropbox should sync to the iOS version (it was set up in Windows...) and the TOTP output should work/display in iOS without having to 'do' anything!

Suggestions?

Comments

• Did you enter the TOTP on iOS manually (or via QR code) or sync it from Windows? If you entered it manually, try setting up the field again. If there was an error in the secret then it would produce different codes.

To confirm it's not a timing issue, watch the codes before and after the 30 second changes. If one is the same as the previous code on the other device, then it is likely a clock issue on one of the devices.

If those don't appear to be applicable, finally try adding a second TOTP field to the iOS item using the same secret as on the Windows item. Let me know if that works or not.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

It was entered in the Windows beta by hand (secret), where it didn't work. It was fixed in the (released) 538 where it now matches the Google app, and isn't correct when synced to the new iOS version. What's the point of syncing data if it doesn't work?

There is no timing issue. PC is using ntp and phones don't have timing issues, since the Google app works (and you can't set the time on a phone).

I can add it again to the phone, but why should that matter when it's the same exact string from the one that is in the database? That doesn't make any sense.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

@hayesk‌ I verified the current field has the same secret as in the Windows version, and I also added another TOTP field with the same secret, and now I have two of them with the same time counter in the iOS app, and the same codes, both wrong. The Windows one with the same secret is correct, matching the Google app.

• Ben
    Options

@leesweet‌

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from each of your devices: https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox. Also when you send the reports in each will generate an automated reply that contains a ticket ID. Please post those IDs here.

Once we see the reports we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff Thanks for the update! Logs sent for iOS and Windows in one email, ticket CMF-32961-499. I know you are swamped with tickets for the new release, so, this isn't an emergency (as I have the Google app). Just very strange that the two don't agree (and the brand new Windows one does).

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @leesweet! We've received the reports and will respond via email as soon as we can.

ref: CMF-32961-499

This discussion has been closed.