Creating a secondary vault

Options
_mrgq_
_mrgq_
Community Member

I currently have 1Password installed on my iPad, iPhone and Macbook Pro. I would like to create a secondary vault so that I can separate my personal credentials from work credentials. I started creating the secondary vault using 1Password for iOS on my iPhone but I can only choose sync with Dropbox. Is there a way to create a secondary vault that will allow me to sync via WiFi the same way I can sync the primary vault? I would like to maintain control of where the 1Password database is and I am not to fond of sending it to Dropbox (I know it is encrypted but still). Please advise.

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I never used wifi syncing, but I found this:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/sync-wi-fi

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for sharing that link, mrgq

• _mrgq_
    _mrgq_
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the link @Prime. I use WiFi because that way I maintain entire control of my 1Password library locally. My issue really is that when I try to create a secondary vault on my iPhone (for work passwords) I only receive the option to sync to Dropbox. I would like to find out if there are any other alternatives to this. If not then I guess I will have to use Dropbox or continue using KeePass on my work laptop.

• BDROYE
    BDROYE
    Community Member
    Options

Like mrpq I need some things cleared up. Why when I try to create a second Vault I only have Dropbox as my syncing medium. This very odd since I don't use Dropbox on my iPhone; I use iCloud. I am also not clear on the metaphor that is being used to organize data and to mine it. I expected Vault to be the highest, then a folder then a category and finally the item. Why don't I see the Folder I created and all the items by Category when I open the app.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@BDROYE you cannot currently use iCloud to sync secondary vaults (and I have no information as to whether you will ever be able to do that). Currently, in the latest versions of 1P for Mac, and 1P for iOS secondary vaults can sync using either Dropbox or local wifi. Note that if you sync via wifi the primary vault will also sync at the same time as any secondary vault you have selected for sync.

Stephen

• _mrgq_
    _mrgq_
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

@Stephen_C I definitely want to sync my secondary vault using WiFi as well, but the problem is I don't get the option to do so.. When I go to settings > vaults > add vault > choose a sync method I only see the sync with dropbox option, not sync with WiFi. Am I missing something?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

mrgq please tell us:

1. the version number of 1P for iOS you are using (go to the 1P for iOS Settings screen and look towards the bottom for the version number);
    2. the version number of 1P for Mac you are using (go to 1Password > About 1Password and tell us exactly what it says there).

Stephen

• _mrgq_
    _mrgq_
    Community Member
    Options

@Stephen_C 1. 5.2 for iOS
    2. I am not close to my Mac but it is running the latest version 5 release.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Have you bought the pro features on 1P for iOS? One of the pro features is:

Accessing and syncing multiple vaults

Stephen

• _mrgq_
    _mrgq_
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. I have purchased the pro features.

• Ben
    Options

Hi there,

Syncing via WiFi is not accomplished through the Settings > Vaults screen, but rather through the Settings > Sync screen.

Thanks.

• _mrgq_
    _mrgq_
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff I understand but I want to setup the secondary vault using WiFi sync not Dropbox sync. Again, I am not trying to sync yet, I am trying to create a secondary vault with WiFi sync settings and that is what I cannot accomplish.

• _mrgq_
    _mrgq_
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff I am attaching two images taken from my iOS device.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2015
    Options

I understand. When you set up syncing with WiFi through the Settings > Sync screen on your iOS device that will sync all of the vaults you have selected to be available by WiFi on your Mac.

You don't need to go into the Settings > Vaults screen at all to setup WiFi syncing.

Thanks!

• _mrgq_
    _mrgq_
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff So I create the vault using Dropbox sync and give 1Password access to my Dropbox account to then use WiFi to sync? That is the part that doesn't make sense to me.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2015
    Options

No. Let me back up.

Through this entire process you never open the Settings > Vaults screen. It seems this is where we're getting hung up. Forget that screen exists.

Once you're all set up and things are synced THEN you can open the Settings > Vaults screen to switch vaults. But you do not use it at all during the setup process.

• _mrgq_
    _mrgq_
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff Ok that Is what I wanted to know. Basically I cannot create a secondary vault from the iOS app and select WiFi sync. I can only do that from my Mac. So now my next question. If I purchase 1Password for Windows can I sync between my Mac, iOS and Windows devices as long as they are in the same network? I want to be able to use 1Password on Mac, iOS, and Windows and have both vaults (personal and business synced).

• Ben
    Options

Mac and Windows cannot sync directly over WiFi with each other. You could use a folder sync to keep the Mac and Windows devices in sync, or use an iOS device as an intermediary.

• _mrgq_
    _mrgq_
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks everyone for your comments! @bwoodruff thanks for your assistance.

• Ben
    Options

You are very welcome. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

mrgq I'm happy to hear the comments here were helpful for you. Sorry for all the confusion about that! You're correct that new secondary vaults cannot currently be created in 1Password for iOS - they must be created on the Mac and then they can sync to iOS. Adding the ability to create new secondary vaults in 1Password for iOS is on our "to do" list, although I don't know exactly when that feature will be available.

If you have more questions, please let us know - we're always glad to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.