At least please implement iCloud drive sync

Options
mirco
mirco
Community Member
edited January 2015 in iOS

Since you have repeatedly stressed that it is Apple's fault that we are now forced to buy the app again from the app store, I am sure you will consider the following solution, which would help all of us having bought 1Password from the web store.

Please simply implement an option to choose whether to use Cloud Kit or iCloud drive in the iOS app. I am already using iCloud drive to sync 1Password across my computers and if it were possible to sync to an iCloud drive folder in the iOS app, I would not need to buy the Mac app again just to restore iCloud sync support via Cloud Kit.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mirco

Apple does not recommend using iCloud Drive for databases such as the one 1Password uses. It is intended for syncing documents, not databases. You can read Apple's notes to developers on this here:

Thanks!

• mirco
    mirco
    Community Member
    Options

I am familiar with Apple's recommendation. And I am not suggesting to make it the default sync option. But at least it should be possible, so I can decide myself whether I want to use it or not.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mirco,

Thanks, we appreciate the suggestion!

My understanding is that there are other complications with using the iCloud Drive folder sync option with 1Password, which is part of the reason our developers went with CloudKit instead. It's certainly a popular request from many of our users (especially those who also use 1Password for Windows), so if it becomes a viable option in the future, I'm sure our developers will take it into consideration.

Thanks again for the feedback!

• mirco
    mirco
    Community Member
    Options

What kind of complications could this possibly be? It works like a charm on Mac and on PC, why should it not work on iOS?

• Ben
    Options

I don't know all of the technical details, but if you look at the trouble we had syncing with MobileMe and the previous generation of iCloud sync (pre-iOS 8) I'd say those types of concerns likely still exist for iCloud Drive (especially things like conflict resolution, availability of sync status via API, and the like). It essentially comes down to forcing something to do a task that it wasn't designed to do. CloudKit is what we've been looking for from Apple's sync service for a long time, and it works quite well compared to what we were working with in the past.

• DTM
    DTM
    Community Member
    Options

@micro Agile offer an option not recommended by Apple but then have Agile have to solve (support) the user issues? Or refund requests?

• mirco
    mirco
    Community Member
    Options

As I said, don't make it the default option but still make it possible to use it if I want to do so on my own risk.

Agile did not care about Apple's recommendations in 1Password 4 either, when they implemented the workaround to use iCloud sync at all. And now all of a sudden they care? Of course they do, because this is a great opportunity to earn a huge amount of money! A win win situation for both Agile and Apple – who cares about customers.

If there were a good alternative to 1Password, you would have simply lost the users who you pissed off. It's a shame there is not!

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

In speaking with our developers it appears iCloud Drive does not have an iOS API that we'd be able to use. It wouldn't be possible to support iCloud Drive sync on iOS at the moment.

It isn't simply that we are following Apple's recommendation (though we are) -- there are technical limitations. With iCloud sync in 1Password 4 there were not.

Thanks.

Ben

• mirco
    mirco
    Community Member
    Options

Well, luckily others are making great progress, too, and there is finally an alternative for 1password5:

http://www.binarynights.com/locko/

The iOS app is free and the desktop app only costs $19.90 (currently only $9.90!) instead of $49.00. iCloud sync included, of course.

This discussion has been closed.