TOTP in 1Password for Mac [Coming soon in a future Mac app update]

Options
gundan
gundan
Community Member
edited January 2015 in Mac

Hello,

I love the feature where otpauth is integerated into the ios app, is there anyway it will be integrated into the desktop auth too? It would be fantastic if you can do it.

Thanks,
Gundan

Comments

• Mitch
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi Gundan,

We're super-thrilled to hear that you're excited about TOTP support in the latest 1Password for iOS. We love it too. :)

We have lots of exciting things planned for the Mac app. While I don't have specifics for you at the moment, I'll be happy to pass on your enthusiasm for TOTP to the dev team. Thanks for the feedback!

-Agile Mitch

• HeatherHollick
    HeatherHollick
    Community Member
    Options

I don't understand the utility of having the otpauth on iOS but not on the desktop version.

It makes sense that I need to use my phone to create the otpauth because I need to read the QR code to create the original authentication. But I access most of my websites from my Mac as well. How will that work?

For example, Hover.com uses 2-factor authentication. If I switch my Hover login to use 1Password's OTP, what will happen if I try to log in to Hover with my desktop browser? Will I need to pull up 1Password on my phone to get the OTP and then type it on on my desktop?

Heather

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@HeatherHollick

Just another user here like yourself. I would say at the moment yes you would need to open the iOS version to get the TOTP unless you are still using another app.

The Mac version will almost certainly happen. In a post on the blog they mention already having added it to the Windows version. https://blog.agilebits.com

We could use the browser extension to login, and then on the next page we click the same login and it fills that TOTP. Again just a guess, I have no inside knowledge.

• MikeT
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi guys,

@HeatherHollick,

I don't understand the utility of having the otpauth on iOS but not on the desktop version.

The Mac app will get this support fairly soon. Each of the OS platform have its own team and engineering resources, the iOS and Windows teams managed to finish the implementation sooner but the Mac and Android teams are not yet done, it is being worked on as we speak. We can't reuse code all the time as it has be designed properly for the platform it is on.

Once we finish this on the Mac, it'll be in sync with iOS app in how it works.

If I switch my Hover login to use 1Password's OTP, what will happen if I try to log in to Hover with my desktop browser? Will I need to pull up 1Password on my phone to get the OTP and then type it on on my desktop?

For now, yes, but once the Mac app is updated, you can just open 1Password mini and view the Login which will show the TOTP code.

• ooglek
    ooglek
    Community Member
    Options

That IS AWESOME! I had given up hope on 1P integrating TOTP on the Mac desktop so I rolled my own using the oath-toolkit and Quicksilver.

I look forward to 1Password leaving this in the dust! Thanks for the update MikeT. 1Password really is worth every penny I've paid over the last 7 years, and continues to innovate. Kudos.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ooglek,

Thanks so much for the kind words! We'll do what we can to get the long-awaited feature out to you all soon. :)

• MikeT
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi @ooglek,

This is now in the latest Mac betas if you want to try it.

• PSiAU
    PSiAU
    Community Member
    Options

I am very much looking forward to this feature. Go Mac team go! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I believe we will have a few happy users when the stable release including TOTP is available to all :smile:

This discussion has been closed.