1PW loading mini from wrong path [Known Yosemite issue]

Options
OceanCity123
OceanCity123
Community Member
edited January 2015 in Mac

I have 7 external hard drives, one for each day of the week, full bootable clones. Never had this problem before and I note others are having the same issue, yet unresolved, whereby 1PW is loading the wrong mini application from one of my backup drives instead of my main internal hard drive where 1PW lives.
As a result, I'm having issues.
Where can I configure 1PW to "look" for the correct version of the mini app, i.e. on my primary internal drive?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I believe you can't do it at present as it is an Apple issue. Agile are trying to find a way round this.

You could try disabling Spotlight on your external drives, or even unmounting them if your cloning process can clone to unmounted rives (I think I saw in the SuperDuper manual that for scheduled clones the destination does not need to be mounted).

• OceanCity123
    OceanCity123
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, as I suspected, an Apple issue. All of my external drives already were and still are disabled in spotlight. Until then I can't seem to "add" and new passwords. Hopefully Agile is making this a TOP PRIORITY as the problem is systemic. Can's say enough about Agile. They are VERY supportive and responsible and I'm sure will work this out. Dismounting is not an option for me.
    Hopefully Agile will let us know the workaround, the fix, or release a new update.

• Hi @OceanCity123,

Hopefully Agile is making this a TOP PRIORITY as the problem is systemic.

Unfortunately, if we could, we would've fixed it several months ago when we saw it first on Yosemite betas. Yosemite has a bad bug where it is opening the wrong version of 1Password mini, despite the fact we are telling it the right version to open. This must be fixed by Apple on the OS level. This doesn't affect many apps because not many apps are running two separate components at the same time.

At the moment, the only thing you can do is remove the 1Password app files from your external drives. You don't have to dismount the drive, you just have to remove the 1Password app, so OS X only sees one mini.

The prompt is telling you exactly where OS X sees the mini it wants to open instead of the one we want. In the case of your screenshot, the wrong one is in the Applications folder of your Thunder6 drive, remove the 1Password.app file in that folder and restart 1Password on your primary drive, it should then work.

• OceanCity123
    OceanCity123
    Community Member
    Options

Okay. This makes sense. What are the exact name(s) and pathway(s) for me to remove on the my external drives?
    Maybe I there's even a way I can set up some kind of a "mask" with my backup software to stop copying this/these files.
    Please advise.
    TIA,
    John

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

What are the exact name(s) and pathway(s) for me to remove on the my external drives?

The only thing you need to ensure if that you don't have more than one copy of the 1P app file on any drive connected to your Mac. With backups that's usually fairly easy to arrange by:

1. deleting any existing backups of the 1P app file; and
    2. excluding the 1P app file from any future backups.

(Exclusion of the app file from the backups should not be a concern because you can always re-download the app file, of course.)

Stephen

• OceanCity123
    OceanCity123
    Community Member
    Options

Tedious, but this worked. At least for now.
    Thank you.

• You're welcome, I'm glad it helped. Hopefully, Apple can help everyone at once by fixing this sooner.

• papoo
    papoo
    Community Member
    Options

I have been following a thread on "another List" regarding this issue and am pleased to see this original thread here. Can someone elaborate on what it is about Yosemite that seems to be the cause of this? I count myself fortunate that it has not occurred for me with multiple bootable clones attached and running 1Password 5. I ventured an opinion that I thought it may be something to do with the OS Launch Services which seems to have been changed in Yosemite. Granting that it is an OS-based bug as you state it makes me wonder why more users do not appear to be impacted by it.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Why would I not be having this trouble with a Carbon Copy Cloner external drive and another external drive with Time Machine? I assume my Crash Plan backup to the club can't be reached by the OS. I haven't had any trouble. Knock wood!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@papoo:

I ventured an opinion that I thought it may be something to do with the OS Launch Services which seems to have been changed in Yosemite.

That is the case, as I understand it.

Granting that it is an OS-based bug as you state it makes me wonder why more users do not appear to be impacted by it.

I think the answer to that is pretty straightforward. Most people, like me, don't have an external backup drive permanently attached (i.e., any drive is attached only when used for backups) and don't have spare copies of 1P littering their main disk. :)

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @papoo,

I hope that Stephen_C's post here has helped. If you have any further questions, please let us know!

• papoo
    papoo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Stephen. Has anyone tried rebuilding the Launch Services database to alleviate the issue? It almost sounds like a dead-end, but if Apple is neglecting to address the issue, and apparently an issue not exclusively being seen with 1Password, does that mean Apple is suggesting it is up to Agile to come up with a solution and therefore Apple is not considering this an issue worthy of a fix? Catch-22?

Your point regarding permanently attached/connected backup drives is a significant one that I obviously failed to consider right off. That alone might be a solid recommendation for users experiencing "The System launched an incorrect version..." issue. For me, one reason I tend to leave externals connected is due to my work area and it being a matter of "convenience" and that I have a couple of setups that automatically clone at designated times.

Gord

• OceanCity123
    OceanCity123
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, Stephen's post does work. I had seven external hard drives permanently connected for nightly differential backups. Problem gone. Will be interesting to see if it now reappears as the backups start pickup up the missing files again. But at least this approach worked for me.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OceanCity123

If you can exclude the 1Password application from your backups the issue should hopefully not return any time soon. Let us know how you get along though :smile:

• OceanCity123
    OceanCity123
    Community Member
    Options

I use SuperDuper so there's no way that I'm aware of (other than some kind of convoluted script) to eliminate 1PW from getting picked up again, but it already has for 3-4 days and not been a problem.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OceanCity123 ,

I'm glad to hear that things seem to be working for now! I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything continues to work perfectly for you, but we're here if you hit any snags. :)

• papoo
    papoo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @OceanCity 123,

If it returns to cause you problems I recommend contacting Dave Nanian at Shirt Pocket and ask if you could get some assistance creating an exclusion script for your specific requirements. Even though the SuperDuper! manual has a section devoted to exclusion scripting I understand your feeling it is too convoluted to muck about with.

• OceanCity123
    OceanCity123
    Community Member
    Options

Great idea PaPoo! Hadn't even thought of that.

• papoo
    papoo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan,

I hope that Stephen_C's post here has helped. If you have any further questions, please let us know!

Even though Stephen_C's reply was a generalized comment it did confirm something I had already been exploring for a different reason which subsequently led me to this thread. I noticed that every time I went to the "Open With" Contextual Menu it seemed to take a very long time for the list to populate and most often said, "Fetching..." I wondered if it was possible that whatever change has been made to Launch Services in Yosemite that this "Fetching..." delay causes OS X 10.x to look more quickly for what it considers a suitable secondary choice which could potentially lead to the OS opening an incorrect version of 1PW Mini?

I performed various searches but so far have found scant resources.

• Hi @papoo,

That's a good theory, but not it. Launch Services keeps its little database of all apps and relevant info about them (bundle identifiers, supported URL schemes, etc...). For the communication between the main app and the mini, we use the Apple-recommended approach of using XPC. XPC is great. But it comes with a built-in limitation... when we ask XPC to talk to the mini we can't say "I want to open an XPC channel to the mini that's within my app bundle." All you can say is "I want to open an XPC channel to 1Password mini" and specify the bundle identifier. It's XPC's and the system's responsibility to find the XPC service or app within your bundle that matches what you're looking for, launch it, and connect you to it. This worked great previously previously to 10.10. In 10.10 they made a change in Launch Services such that it's not limiting the search within our bundle and is launching and connecting us to another 1Password mini instance it found for us. It thinks it's being useful, probably. In reality it's being very very un-useful. From the app's perspective there's little we can do. We can detect that it's the wrong mini, we can even ask the wrong mini to shut itself down to get out of our way. But what we cannot do is convince the system to launch the correct mini. Since we have to let XPC/LaunchServices do its magic, and its magic is wrong, we're put between a rock and a hard place. We've filed a bug with Apple, and I plan on filing another to show a bigger problem that this can cause for apps.

Hope this helps explain this a little.

Rick

• jwarthman
    jwarthman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick, this was very helpful, thank you. I'm one who, running 10.10.2, is NOT affected with this bug. Can you elaborate on when/how the information for the errant copies of 1Password gets into the Launch Services/XPC database? I wonder if it's related to Spotlight, and disabling indexing on external volumes might be helping in my case?

Thanks!

Jim

• OceanCity123
    OceanCity123
    Community Member
    Options

I too just realized I'm running 10.10.2 and have not experience ANY 1PW issues from the prior OS version. All good now.
    Had forgotten that I updated last week or so.

• Hi guys,

@jwarthman:

I'm one who, running 10.10.2, is NOT affected with this bug.

Our bug reports are still listed as open, so we don't know if it is truly fixed in 10.10.2 but it might be fixed by some other changes Apple made in 10.10.2.

Can you elaborate on when/how the information for the errant copies of 1Password gets into the Launch Services/XPC database? I wonder if it's related to Spotlight, and disabling indexing on external volumes might be helping in my case?

The errant copies are not entered in the database, it is not stored anywhere. This is being done on the fly on Yosemite. In other words, when we make an XPC call to connect to 1Password mini, Yosemite does its search to find the bundle ID (2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper) and sometime finds it in completely different directories or volumes instead of the one that we stored in the application file (1Password 5.app in your Applications folder). It's not looking up any predefined paths because it is not stored. The proper way or the expectation is that OS X is supposed to only search within the app bundle and only after it doesn't find it, go outward.

It is possible Apple has made a change in 10.10.2 where it is prioritizing the index on the primary volume and only moves on to the next one if it doesn't find it in the primary index. However, that wouldn't fix the problem where you might have multiple minis with the same bundle ID in the same primary index.

This is assuming XPC is using the Spotlight indexes, I don't have that information and I'm not able to find it in Apple's docs. I'll keep hunting for it and follow up if I do find it.

I wonder if it's related to Spotlight, and disabling indexing on external volumes might be helping in my case?

I suspect it might be using the indexes to speed up the results. So, if you disabled the index, it won't find it.

The best way to confirm this is to enable the index on your external volume and see what happens.

@OceanCity123:

I too just realized I'm running 10.10.2 and have not experience ANY 1PW issues from the prior OS version.

But you already made the changes to remove other traces of 1Password, right? If you remove the exclusion of 1Password from the Time Machine Backups, see if that'll still work fine.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I have not excluded 1Password from backups by Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner, and I haven't ever experienced the troubles described in this thread. Both of those backup drives are always connected to my Mac.

• MikeT
    edited February 2015
    Options

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It is interesting that it doesn't happen to all users.

• papoo
    papoo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rickfillion

...Since we have to let XPC/LaunchServices do its magic, and its magic is wrong, we're put between a rock and a hard place. We've filed a bug with Apple, and I plan on filing another to show a bigger problem that this can cause for apps.

That was a great explanation and is appreciated. Even though it took me down somewhat of an incorrect path with respect to 1PW Mini and this thread, the weird behaviour I have seen with Launch Services changes in Yosemite has been pretty glaring. Hopefully your subsequent bug report will nudge Apple towards a fix.

Thanks.

• OceanCity123
    OceanCity123
    Community Member
    Options

Again, I checked, and I'm NOT excluding 1PW.app from my seven external drives, nor my TimeMachine external drive, and since installing the 10.10.2 update on my new tubular Mac Pro have not experienced ANY problems, so for what it's worth maybe the issue has resolved.
    Keep up the great work!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OceanCity123,

Well, I'm glad to hear that you're not experiencing any problems - thanks for letting us know! :)

• jwarthman
    jwarthman
    Community Member
    Options

Like OceanCity123 and hawkmoth, I have not seen this problem on Yosemite. I recently upgraded to 10.10.2, and always have a clone of my boot drive attached to my iMac. I have not deleted 1Password from the clone drive, but I did omit the clone drive from Spotlight indexing.

• Jasper
    edited February 2015
    Options

Great to hear it's working well for you as well, thanks for letting us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.