Logins and duplicate passwords

Options
statto1927
statto1927
Community Member

Hi - been a long time user of 1P and love it - on my iMac, MBP, iPad and iPhone, it's one of my most used apps.

However, I rarely do much other than using it to unlock logins and one thing that I've never been able to get my head around is why it appears to save both logins and passwords? I have 339 items in total in my vault, and 106 of these are Password items that seem to be either a current version of a password that I have a Login for, or an old version of a password where I have a more current Login item.

Can someone please explain the difference and whether it's safe/ok form me (with my slightly OCD hat on) to get rid of passwords where I have a suitable Login item?

Thanks

Comments

• MikeT
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi @statto1927,

When you generate a password using our password generator, we automatically create a copy in your Passwords category as a safety net in the event of 1Password not auto-saving your site's account.

If 1Password doesn't prompt to auto-save your data and there is no copy of the new password saved anywhere, you'd be locked out of your site's account, and have to go through the reset process. Why do that, when you can just go to your Passwords category, find the password you just generated, which will include the site address and you can press Convert to Login to turn it into the Login item for the site.

1Password has a redundant password cleanup feature if you want to remove any password items that already matches against your Logins for the same site. To do this, right-click on the Passwords category and select Remove Redundant or go to the Help Menu > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords.

I hope that helps.

• statto1927
    statto1927
    Community Member
    Options

Ah - got it. Thanks Mike

• You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.