Restore Help!

Options
tcook1911
tcook1911
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for a few years now and i love it! However, I had to rebuild my Mac today and reinstall all my app, including 1P, but the files I have which i assumed was my backup will not restore.

The file is called "1Password 2015-01-28 173016 (311 items).agilekeychain_zip" and has a size of 48MB. I have installed the most recent 1P version for Mac, v5.1 (510035).

Do I have the wrong file for restore or do i need an older version of 1P??

Tim

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

@tcook1911

First off make a backup of that backup and store it safe. If thats your only copy we do not want anything to happen to your data. So make sure you have a duplicate or 2 of the data in a safe place.

It sounds like a version 3 backup file.

I can say the following:

1. It is not a 1Password 5 backup as they end in 1p4_zip (left over name from version 4)
    2. Its not a 1Password 4 as they also ended in 1p4_zip
    3. That leaves version 3

Make sure and remove 1Password 5 , then reboot and then install version 3 from the downloads page https://agilebits.com/downloads Look in the legacy section near the bottom for version 3.8.22 under the Lion and Snow Leopard section. 3.8.22 will run on later systems including 1Password 4 and 1Password 5 although its untested on 1Password 5 and therefore unsupported.

1. You can remove 1Password 5 by dragging it to the trash. Then rebooting to make sure no traces of it were left running on your system.
    • DO NOT use an app cleaner as they can be over zealous and remove your data and their backups which we do not want !
  • tcook1911
    tcook1911
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for the reply....i know i was definitely using 1P5 but I don't think i was running the latest and greatest iteration. Prior to me wiping my mac yesterday i made sure i had "what i thought was a backup", i have a folder in my Google Drive called "1Password" and it contains the file i referenced earlier. This file which references "311" items gets auto updated each day, so my assumption based on the size and name was that this was my backup.

Anything you can do to help will be great....this file literally has EVERY in it for me, i use this tool 50 times a day! I am lost without it and i really though this was my backup file.

• Hi @tcook1911,

Try this and see if it works:

1. Make a copy of your backup file: 1Password 2015-01-28 173016 (311 items).agilekeychain_zip and put the copy on your desktop
    2. Rename the copy to 1Password.zip
    3. Extract it and then you should see the folder named 1Password, rename it to 1Password.agilekeychain
    4. Double-click on this and see if 1Password will open it and ask if you want to import it

You should then unlock with the vault password and see your data.

Let me know if that helps or if not, tell me what happened instead.

This discussion has been closed.