Feature Request: Adding a photo or other attachment on iOS

Options
124»

Comments

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

I would really like to see this feature added to the iOS version as well... or to be more precise hoping for years now that it will be implemented some day. Although it's pretty clear now that this will never happen.
    Like many others I'm not a big fan of subscription as well but being a software developer myself I see how it helps many developers to survive. For very few products I already pay subscription fees and I wouldn't hesitate to pay for a 1Password subscription if it would bring new features to the stand alone versions with local sync. But I will never ever upload passwords into some kind of cloud service, no matter how well the encryption was designed. I'm sure you did your best to make 1Password.com as secure as it could be. But this doesn't change the fact that security information is uploaded into a cloud service.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @viswiz,

While we appreciate the feedback we'd also appreciate it if you would please avoid posting essentially the same message in multiple threads. It causes a duplication of effort on our part which slows down the support process for everyone. :)

As Brenty mentioned in his last post we haven't made a decision one way or the other about new major features for the standalone products. Right now our focus is on the 1Password.com services. We'll have more info available when we re-visit standalone and make some important decisions. We aren't taking those decisions lightly, and so we're going to take out time making them.

Thanks!

Ben

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben yes, you are right I should not crosspost :) But to be fair in my opinion my other post could help to explain the matter of feature disparity.
    @Brenty mentioned that you haven't made a decision. But only a few sentences before he also wrote "Even if we were able to go back and add this for local vaults (of which there are multiple iterations), there's a good chance you'd have had to pay for it." This statement doesn't sound very confident that this feature will ever happen. And yes, like already said above I would be willing to pay for upgrades or even for a (local) subscription service but not for a cloud service.
    You haven't found a way or the time to implement this feature before most of your development resources were spent on 1Password.com and I don't see how this could change now that your cloud service is your top priority. One couldn't even buy the standalone Desktop version any longer.

I really like 1Password and appreciate your passion for the product and this support forum. But as a long time user of the macOS and iOS versions with WiFi sync I'm feeling more and more like a second class citizen :(

Kai

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@viswiz: I'm not confident it will happen, and I think that goes without saying with our current focus on 1Password.com, as mentioned previously by myself and others. It could happen in the future, but for us to feel that it's likely it wouldn't have to be something we're at least thinking about right now and it isn't. It's sort of like being surprised that a single person isn't confident they'll have children someday.

Everyone feels like a "second class citizen" to some extent, because there is no perfect solution. You may feel that way because local vaults and WLAN Server aren't our priority right now, but it doesn't affect your ability to use those since that feature is already there for you. At the same time, there are plenty of 1Password.com members on Windows that rightly feel that way because the new app we're building doesn't have all of the features 1Password 4 does. I think it's important to keep perspective, but of course that's not your job; it's ours.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

Regarding the windows version. When the new version was finally released I intended buy it - mainly for company use. But after reading that it can only sync using 1Password.com I started to look for a different solution. Like you said it's a matter of perspective... :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, I totally understand. We'd much rather you use another tool rather than nothing at all if 1Password isn't a perfect fit for you. You have to do what's best for you! :blush:

• mttransplant
    mttransplant
    Community Member
    Options

I would just like to add a vote for this feature. Snapping a photo of a membership or credit card and then adding it to the related item would be a blessing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! :)

• poklassike
    poklassike
    Community Member
    Options

Please, i wanna save photo of my documents in 1password...App really need this function.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps I'm mistaken but can't 1Password for iOS attach photos already? I thought the limitation was that other document types, e.g. PDFs, Docs, Etc aren't allowed?

I admittedly have not tried to attach anything myself.

• rudy
    edited May 2017
    Options

@wkleem,

You can attach photos to items in a 1Password.com account vault. Local vaults aren't supported.

Rudy

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

I have both local and 1P/Family vaults on my iPhone. I see that I can attach a photo to items in a 1P/Family vault but not to items in a local vault. That's just weird, and as noted it doesn't address other file types. Very disappointing. Also seems quite arbitrary, especially now that the size limit for attachments to items in 1Password.com accounts has been removed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@benfdc: Good point. The removal of the file size limitation for 1Password.com accounts (technically, it's limited by the size of your account's storage still though) is a very recent change, so this is something we'll definitely take into account as we develop that further. I'm not sure I'd personally want to upload large files on a mobile device, but having the option would be nice — especially if it worked for other file types as well. :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

It's just so much easier to capture an image on my phone (photo or scanner app) than to scan something into my Mac. This is an old, old thread, so it's mystifying to me that the feature wasn't added long ago. To see it present for some kinds of.vaults but not others only adds to the frustration.

Because I have both kinds of vaults, I can work around this limitation, but it still grates in the absence of a sensible, transparent explanation for the current state of affairs. Technical issues? Business model? A bit of each? I'd like to know.

Anyway, I appreciate the acknowledgement.

—Ben F

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Perhaps, as a compromise, 1Password could have a data throttling feature? I see this feature on WhatsApp called Low Data Usage.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I'd love something like that, but it isn't something we can do currently...and frankly I'd rather see that done at the OS level. 1Password is the least of my problems when it comes to data usage. :lol:

@benfdc: Not really business or technical. Just not something we've had the bandwidth to pursue in earnest. The current limited Documents implementation with images seemed like a good place to start though, since 1Password.com has a lot more flexibility (and guaranteed file storage). It unfortunately isn't something we're able to work on right now, but I'm hopeful we'll be able to expand this in the future. But doing so for multiple legacy vault formats (and their variations over the years) would be a technical and logistical nightmare, so that seems unlikely. :(

• emptyskies
    emptyskies
    Community Member
    Options

Guys, long time user piling on here. It's driving me insane having to take a photo on my iPhone, sending it to my Mac, adding the image there to vault items. If it really were about data then why allow someone to add it on the mac?

Please add this!!!!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @emptyskies,

This is possible with 1Password.com membership. We will not be adding the functionality to standalone vaults at this time. We are no longer marketing standalone vaults as a solution, and our focus is on 1Password.com memberships.

I'm sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping for, but the good news is that there is a solution! If you'd like help getting moved over to a 1Password membership please feel free to drop us a line to sales@1password.com. Be sure to include receipts for any 1Password purchases that you'd made in the past so that we can best assist.

Thanks!

Ben

• emptyskies
    emptyskies
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Ben. Thanks for getting back to me. I've been a long time user since 2009; I think I've bought every version you guys have released. I've moved my entire family onto your services and countless other friends. I'm kind of disappointed in this move — the decision to go subscription; the decision to force your cloud onto people going forward; and the decision to not add the most basic of features to the iPhone version that the old mac version already supports.

Piling on to the already mounting criticism, unless some of these decisions are reversed it'll be the last time I pay for any more of your software (and honestly, this makes me sad).

Cheers

-- james

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2017
    Options

Thanks for the feedback James. Just to clarify a couple of points:

We're not forcing the 1Password service on anyone. If you've currently got a local vault and are happy with it then you are welcome to continue using 1Password that way. We think the 1Password service is better, and most customers that have actually tried it agree, but we understand it isn't going to be for everyone. We're not just going to upload your (encrypted) passwords to the service all of a sudden. :)

As for going subscription -- we need to have a sustainable business model. Especially with the 1Password service, but even with local vaults, there are recurring costs to us (notably staffing to do things like reply to these messages and continue to develop the apps) and as such it only makes good business sense to have a recurring cost passed on to the customer. We feel we've built the best password manager there is, and we want to be able to attract the kind of staff that can continue that tradition. Quality staffing doesn't come cheap, and they don't take one time payments. :)

As for not adding further attachment support to local vaults... unfortunately there are only so many hours in the day. To do it right, and we'd want to do it right (see that whole tradition of quality bit above), it would take a fair bit of time. Further attachment support, while a popular request, just hasn't made it to the top of the priorities list such that we could invest the required amount of time to develop and test it. With our focus on the 1Password service, and it already supporting the addition of Documents from iOS, it seems unlikely that we'll circle back to this at least in the foreseeable future. As I mentioned we feel for most people membership is going to be the best solution, and this already exists there.

We do appreciate the feedback, and like to consider ourselves to be agile... we put it in the name after all. Nearly everything is subject to change. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.