Licenses Again!

abrisson
abrisson
Community Member

Sorry if this is repetitive, but I can't figure this out from the other posts.
I need to purchase license(s) for the following family members and do not wish to use family sharing as it just adds to the confusion!

Myself:
Family iMac
Windows PC
Ipad
Iphone

Wife:
Family iMac
Ipad
Iphone

Daughter:
Family iMac
Macbook Air
Ipad mini
Iphone

Parents in a different household;

Mom:
Imac
Windows PC
Ipad
Iphone

Dad:
Ipad
Iphone

Please let me know which licensing I should purchase. My trial period expires in 4 days. At one time I thought there was a family package for $20 more? I want to make sure all of my family is protected.

Thanks!

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

I don't think this is too complicated if you remember that the licenses are sold on a per-user, per-platform basis. Further, a single user license is valid for use by up to six family members in the same household. That's true if you buy from The AgileBits web store or the Mac App Store under Family Sharing.

So, for you, your wife, and daughter, it looks to me like you need one Mac + Windows bundle from the AgileBits web store. Each user will need to download a free copy of the basic iOS application for their iDevices. If any of you want or need the more advanced Pro features, each of those will need to make an in-app purchase to activate those for US$9.99. Apple doesn't permit Family Sharing for in-app purchases (which you aren't interested in anyway), so each person using them under a separate Apple ID will have to pay. But then all iOS devices that use that Apple ID will also have the Pro features. The iOS app is universal - it works on iPads and iPhones, plus iPod touches, if you had those.

You would need the same combination for the installations you describe for your parents. They need their own licenses, since they are in a separate household, but the family use for single user licenses apply within their household.

One more wrinkle to mention. You have Windows in use in both households. That will mean that you will need to use Dropbox for syncing, if you want the convenience of a cloud-based solution. If everything were within the Apple ecosystem, you would be able to use iCloud instead. But if that were your wish, you would have to buy Mac licenses from Apple, not AgileBits. I say this for the benefit of anyone else who is looking for this answer later.

• Hi @abrisson,

We've done away with the family license for Mac and Windows and made the single user license valid for up to 6 family members who live together in the same house. For your situation you'll need:

Please note that the base features for iOS are free, and there is an in-app purchase to unlock Pro features. This is done on a per-Apple ID basis. Everyone may not need the pro features.

Thanks.

• abrisson
    abrisson
    Community Member

hawkmoth & bwoodruf,
    Thanks for clearing that up for me!
    :)

• You're very welcome, @abrisson. Thanks for the assist @hawkmoth! Didn't see your post when I posted mine.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@bwoodruff - Yours was more concise, so all's good with me. I need to learn to do that more often too.

This discussion has been closed.