OS 10.9.5 (1Password 4.4.2) to iOS 8 (5.2)

Options
raf
raf
Community Member

Is there a way to get the data on my Mac to my iPad other than through sync? Is there a file I can drag from the Mac to the iPad?
I have an iPod Touch that cannot be upgraded to iOS 8 and I'd like to have it continue to sync with my Mac. Replacing it at this time is not an option.
Thanks. raf

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @raf,

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't want to use the sync options in 1Password between your Mac and iPad? If you have 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 5 for iOS, you can sync them using Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync. It should be possible to use a backup file from 1Password 4 for Mac to restore data to 1Password 5 for iOS, but it would be a lot easier to use one of the sync options instead.

As for your iPod Touch, what version of iOS is it running? If it's using iOS 6 or 7, you should be able to install 1Password 4 on it, and sync with your Mac via Dropbox or Wi-Fi. If you've already downloaded 1Password 5 on your iPad, you can open the App Store on your iPod Touch and go to Updates > Purchased. Find 1Password in your list of purchased apps and try to download it - the App Store should allow you to download the latest compatible version. If you need help with that, please let us know!

• raf
    raf
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

@Drew_AG - YOU are my new best friend and my hero!! I had not found Wi-Fi Sync!! I followed the link in your note and followed the instructions to the "t" and it worked BEAUTIFULLY!! Now, I have both the iPad & the iPod working! I tested it by adding a "dummy" entry on my Mac and it showed up on both of the mobile devices.

The iPad is new and came with iOS 8. The iPod Touch is on iOS V6.1.6. It is a mid-2010 model and cannot be upgraded to iOS 7.

Will this technique work with my MacBook Pro and my other 2 Macs?

Thank you again!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @raf,

Wow, thanks for the kind words! It's great to see you're so excited about Wi-Fi sync, I'll let our developers know how much you like it! :)

Will this technique work with my MacBook Pro and my other 2 Macs?

I assume you're referring to Wi-Fi sync? To be honest, Wi-Fi sync is a great solution for syncing between a single Mac and one or more iOS devices, but not for syncing between multiple Macs. Wi-Fi sync won't work directly between your Macs, it only works between Mac and iOS. Although you could technically use 1Password for iOS as a sort of "bridge" between multiple Macs (for example, sync your iPad with one Mac, then sync your iPad with a different Mac), we don't really recommend doing that because you would need to disable and re-enable Wi-Fi sync every time you want to sync it with a different Mac. Aside from being a bit inconvenient, that also removes sync context data used for conflict resolution, which has the potential to cause some trouble.

Dropbox sync is ideal for syncing your 1Password data between multiple Macs and iOS devices. However, if you don't want to use Dropbox sync, you could use Wi-Fi sync between one Mac and your iOS devices, and use Folder sync between all your Macs.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions about that, please let us know!

• raf
    raf
    Community Member
    Options

Hola @Drew_AG,

Comprendo! I understand. And, you are totally right on about "re-pairing" devices. I had so much trouble with DropBox a few years ago, I truly soured on it! However, based on your recommendation, I shall give it another try!

We have 3 iMacs, 1 MacBook Pro, 1 iPad Mini3 and 1 iPodTouch mid-2010 model. Until I wean myself from the iPod, or find the dollars to upgrade it, it is stuck on IOS V6. And, I'd like to keep 1Password in sync on all! We bought it in its earliest rendition, when there was only Dave, and have LOVED it ever since! I was impressed that he was building such a wonderful product AND, personally answering e-mails! It's great that you now have an expanded staff!

Because the WiFi sync is working so well, I'll probably leave it as is for the mobiles and try the Folder sync for the others.

Thank you for being so understanding of all my questions!

R

• Glad to hear it is working! Please post again if you have further questions.

This discussion has been closed.