Tried everything - master password not accepted

Options
katrinaehaus
katrinaehaus
Community Member
edited February 2015 in Mac

Everything was working fine until I changed my master password yesterday. My Mac would not accept my new password, so I used my iPhone (because for some reason my master pwd is working on iOS) to restore a backup from a few days ago with my old password. Again, works on my iPhone, not on my Mac.

I tried deleting all 1Password apps from my Mac (main, mini, browser extensions, etc.) and restarting and reinstalling, but no matter what I do, I can't get it to go to the screen that first appeared when I installed it: where it asks if you are using 1Password for the first time or if you have your data synced somewhere. It shows me the Enter Master Password screen and won't accept either my old pwd or my new one.

I also tried disabling sync with Dropbox, resyncing, disabling and syncing with iCloud, syncing via WiFi, nothing works because I can't get into my app on the desktop. I can't do the troubleshooting steps from some of the discussions below for the same reason.

Please help. :(

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @katrinaehaus,

Sorry you've been having such hassles. With the latest versions of 1Password 5 for both the Mac and iOS we were confident we had resolved a number of issues relating to Master Password and syncing so I'm disheartened to hear you're having issues with this very aspect.

Now if I read your post correctly you've tried restoring a backup not from the automated backups on the Mac but the iPhone? Now due to limited space on your average iOS device the number of backups is limited to one there and not automated. On your Mac though it should be backing up as often as once a day if your vault changes. It might be worth trying a couple of the backups created prior to changing your Master Password as the old backups will use the old Master Password.

It might be also worth checking out a few of the suggestions from our page, Master Password not accepted.

If you still have no luck but still have access to the vault on your iPhone then here is what I suggest.

1. On your Mac, you will want to follow the Starting Over guide.
    2. On your iOS device you will want to temporarily disable sync.
    3. So far we've only removed the local vault stored in your Library folder. If you still have sync data that you can't unlock then we'll need to remove that too. For iCloud the easiest way to delete the iCloud data is via your working iOS device. Launch 1Password for iOS and then go to Settings > Advanced > Erase iCloud Data.
    4. For Dropbox you can simply move all .agilekeychain bundles out of the Dropbox folder.

Now when you start 1Password again it will be as if it had never been run before. This is one time where 1Password's attempt at being helpful backfires as it's loading a vault that you probably didn't intend it to.

Now you have a couple of options here.

1. You could try re-enabling sync on your iOS device and having it create a fresh 1Password.agilekeychain that should be unlocked with the known Master Password on your iOS device.
    2. The other option is to create a brand new on your Mac with a fresh Master Password. Then you could use Wi-Fi Sync to populate this empty vault with the contents of the iOS vault.

Once you have a working vault on both devices we can look getting sync properly set up again using the sync method you actually want to use. For example, if you went with the Wi-Fi Sync above but actually want to use Dropbox then I would probably recommend a few additional steps where we would clear 1Password on your iOS device and have it sync a fresh 1Password.agilekeychain created by your Mac. The reason is that way you're not worrying about any possible conflicts (I could be accused of being a little over-cautious here).

Anyway, the first thing to do is get your vault back on your Mac. If you have any questions or issues relating to any of the steps to do that please do let us know or ask. Once you have if you can let us know what you did and what sync method you would like to start using and we'll help try and make that go as smoothly as possible.

• katrinaehaus
    katrinaehaus
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

The Starting Over method didn't work when I first tried it, but I discovered there was one more pesky folder that was cached on my computer in a different location. Once I deleted that, I was able to to actually start over with the initial 1Password welcome screen and sync with Dropbox, so it's all working again.

Anyway, I really appreciate the prompt and detailed feedback!

Thanks,
    Katrina

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@katrinaehaus, on behalf of @littlebobbytables, you're very welcome! :) I'm happy to hear it all worked out, thanks for letting us know. If you need anything else, just let us know - we're always glad to help!

This discussion has been closed.