1Password - Multiple Devices

BHDH
BHDH
Community Member

I'm a little confused right now...and looking for help. My goal is to have 1Password on all computers and IOS devices and be able to sync them all. Is this possible?

I currently have 1Password on all devices and cannot figure out the sync process. I'm thinking what I would like to do is not possible. I started my process Dec 2014. I got everything set-up on my computer, IPAD and IPHONE. All seems to be working correctly.

I downloaded 1Password from Agile Web Store today onto my husbands. From everything I read it's my understanding that one License covers multiple devices. Downloaded 1Password onto my husband's IPAD a couple of weeks ago and am just now trying to get it all working on everything.

I'm sure that I've done something wrong. I'm fairly good at following step by step instructions, but I just couldn't seem to locate them within your user guide. I'm hoping that your company will grow to the point that you will eventually have a support tech line for live support.

Today I synced my computer to my IPAD and IPHONE. All are in sync. I could not figure out how to get the data from my computer to my husbands IMAC and IPAD. While setting up 1Password on my husbands computer I selected the option that I was not a new user and then could not figure out from there how to get it to sync with 1Password on my computer. So I copied the most current backup from my computer onto a usb drive, plugged it into my husband's IMAC and opened 1Password and restored the data. Then I was able to sync his IPAD.

My problem is when a new password is created on one of devices I don't know how to sync them. Other than doing back-up and restore which really defeats what I'm trying to accomplish. It's way too complicated.

I'm hoping I'm missing something. Can you please help me. :)

I have the following equipment:

MacBook Pro - OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.1 (my computer), 1Password Version 5.1 (purchased from Mac App Store 12/1/2014
IPAD 2 - IOS 8.1.3 (my IPAD), 1Password IOS
IPHONE 6+ - 8.1.3
IMAC - OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2 (husband's computer), 1 Password Version 5.1 (downloaded from Agile Web Store 2/23/2015)
IPAD mini - IOS 8.1.3 (husband's IPAD), 1Password IOS

I look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Firstly, one licence does not cover all. It is one licence per platform. So in your case you need 1 Mac license and 1 iOS licence, assuming you and your wife can share it using family sharing; if not you'll need one per AppleId.

For syncing, use Dropbox:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/sync-dropbox
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/sync-with-dropbox

• To add to what RichardPayne said, in-app purchases cannot be shared using Family Sharing, so one purchase per Apple ID is required on iOS (if you want the Pro features, otherwise the app is free).

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Thanks @bwoodruff. I always forget that.

Is there a reason for using in-app purchases rather than separate packages?

• I believe it has to do with data migration from v4 -> v5 and also the fact that we wanted to give the Pro features to existing 1Password 4 for iOS purchasers. And not having to maintain two branches. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Ignoring the data migration as I don't know the details:

1) If the project is properly structured then maintaining two branches isn't necessary, just two build scripts.
    2) Surely the answer to existing customers is to maintain the original package as the full premium version and release a "free version" alongside it?

• Ignoring the data migration as I don't know the details:

I'm not intimate with all the details either, but my understanding is that if we had a separate app for v5's trial there would be hoops to jump through to get v4 data into it (like there were for v3 -> v4).

1) If the project is properly structured then maintaining two branches isn't necessary, just two build scripts.

This makes sense to me, but IANAD. :)

2) Surely the answer to existing customers is to maintain the original package as the full premium version and release a "free version" alongside it?

Sure, that makes sense.

Also we were under the impression that IAPs would be able to be shared with family sharing. It wasn't until after things had been set in motion that we discovered that was not the case.

In any event, we're well past that decision at this point. :) It may be worth re-evaluating for v6.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Also we were under the impression that IAPs would be able to be shared with family sharing. It wasn't until after things had been set in motion that we discovered that was not the case.

Ah, I did think the whole setup seemed half arsed and reeked off "can't be bothered fixing it" on Apple's part. Your comment reinforces that impression.

This discussion has been closed.