shared vault

Options
fkgoodwin
fkgoodwin
Community Member

I created a shared vault with my wife and I sync with Dropbox. It syncs fine and when I am in her system and hit the agile bits file it says "create new vault", so far so good.

Under "enter vault password" I enter a password and it tells me it is incorrect. It also gives me a hint and my wife has no idea what the hint is referring to. I have tried her usual 1P password, my 1P password and several others with no luck. Am I setting up a new password here? For some reason it is asking for an ancient one.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fkgoodwin,

Can I clarify a couple of aspects please.

Are you trying to share your Primary vault with your wife or a secondary vault which you wish to share? I ask as there are multiple configurations depending on the user's preferences. It can have an impact because each vault has its own Master Password but you only need your Master Password for your Primary vault to access all vaults on a Mac.

If you created this shared vault then the hint should look familiar to you. Does it and does it seem like it refers to a much older Master Password?

If it is we can try a couple of things.

1. We could see if disabling Dropbox Syncing and creating a fresh 1Password.agilekeychain helps.
    2. We could see if changing your Master Password on your Mac is then reflected in the sync data. This will only work if we're referring to your Primary vault.

To better advise it would be prudent for ask to ask what version of 1Password you are using and where if you have multiple Macs or iOS devices that are currently syncing. With all of that information we work on the best route forward for you.

• fkgoodwin
    fkgoodwin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I am on 1Password 5 Version 5.1 (510035) Agile Web Store. I am syncing to several 2 IOS devices and 3 macs in total. I am trying to share a secondary vault. I do not recognize the hint, but I believe it is quite old.

Thanks,
    Fred

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fkgoodwin,

Thank you for the additional details! Each vault has its own master password, which you choose when creating that vault. However, unlocking your Primary vault with your Primary vault's master password automatically unlocks your other vaults, so I wonder if you've forgotten the master password you chose for the secondary vault?

As a quick test, please try this:

• Open 1Password on your Mac.
    • If 1Password is currently unlocked, lock it by going to 1Password > Lock in the menu bar.
    • Go to the menu for 1Password > Switch to Vault, and choose your secondary vault (i.e. the one you're sharing with your wife).
    • Try to unlock your secondary vault by entering its master password.

If you're able to unlock that secondary vault with its own master password, is it the same master password you entered when trying to add that vault on your wife's Mac?

If you're not able to unlock that secondary vault, does it show you the same Password Hint you saw on your wife's Mac?

Please let us know how it goes, and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.